Scented Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

I noticed a posted thread specifying a bubblegum "scented" pen.
Is there in reality, a method/procedure, or whatever for creating
a scented pen? Of course, this is not counting the ever popular "CA" scent !!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

At the Indy wood working show last week they had several different blanks scented with cinnamon, chocolate, peppermemt, so on. I thought it was kinda odd and found it overwhelming.

monark88

At the Indy wood working show last week they had several different blanks scented with cinnamon, chocolate, peppermemt, so on. I thought it was kinda odd and found it overwhelming.

Ok, I can't stand need to know any longer. I've noticed for some time now your statement, "purple = sarcasm". What is meant by that. I never heard that saying before.

Just curious, Russ

kooster

If purple = sarcasm . . . I would stay away from the Baltimore area at least until after Sunday. Then, possibly, until next year !!!!
Go Ravens !!!! purple = pride !!!!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I have put scents in PR resin when casting. Very similar to the materials used to make scented candles. The scent did not last too long, but I made up some scented wax in a small container by mixing the scent with a little Renaissance wax for the customer for "refresh" the scent. So the answer is yes!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Ok, I can't stand need to know any longer. I've noticed for some time now your statement, "purple = sarcasm". What is meant by that. I never heard that saying before.

Just curious, Russ

He types in purple when he is being sarcastic, so as not to offend the "literal meaning only" among us.:biggrin::biggrin:

robutacion

Many woods have natural scents, one that comes to mind as one of the strongest I use is the Camphor Laurel, the more sapwood in the blank the stronger the smell however, if you seal the wood with something like CA, particularly gloss/deep finishes (many coats), the scent/smell is very minor.

This is when the wood needs to be finished with oils or neutral scent wood preservers however, the finish is never as strong/durable and would require some maintenance, which would come in a form of cleaning (removing dirt, etc) and re-applying the protective oil.

As for acrylics, oh yes, you can add scent when you are mixing the resin, all depends of the strength of the scent, I tried with vanilla concentrate and with some very expensive but exquisite smell from a perfume I bough for my wife.

I use it to make a couple of pendants for the wife to use and there is no doubt, you can smell clearly what scent was used on which, the oldest is about 2 years old and I can't see that much loss of scent (just a little) from the day I finished it and most of it is due to the Polyester smell when fresh that will dissipate/disappear after a little while.

There is a word of caution though, I tested in on Polyester (PR) resin only, I can't say what the reactions will be with other types of resin also, and unless you use very concentrated stuff (only a couple of drops), pouring too much of the scented material into the mix, can produce a reaction that will either spoil the resin or, will created pockets of nothing (or very little) inside the resin when cured, pretty much as if you put some water into the mix...!

So, time for experimentations, huh...???

Good luck

Cheers
George

CREID

i used to work in the printing industry and i helped some customers find a product they could scent their ink with. i believe the company was called micro scent (spelling? one word or two?). big warning though, this stuff is strong, a little goes farther than a long way and don't even think about doing it in the house or attached garage. i have seen or rather smelled whole warehouses

Top Bottom