this is scary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

Anyone have this happen. Its from a huge hunk of African Rosewood that I got from my wife's uncle.

https://youtu.be/Sff3hr9zH2g

I made it months ago for the last slimline contest as far as I know it wasn't dropped.

I have no idea what the moisture content was.

Attachments

• 0118161110.jpg
    0118161110.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I've only ever had one pen crack like that. I forget what the wood was but I do remember it was prone to cracking. Like yours, it happened several months after I made the pen. It happens.

its_virgil

Yes. More than once. Scary? Why? Wood cracks. Some worse than others. Use stabilized wood or stay away from the ones that crack. Sorry it happened to such a nice looking pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Anyone have this happen. Its from a huge hunk of African Rosewood.

I made it months ago for the last slimline contest as far as I know it wasn't dropped.

chartle

Yes. More than once. Scary? Why? Wood cracks. Some worse than others. Use stabilized wood or stay away from the ones that crack. Sorry it happened to such a nice looking pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Anyone have this happen. Its from a huge hunk of African Rosewood.

Sorry scary was a tad over the top. I think it was scary because it could happen months later.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Some woods take a very long time to reach ambient moisture conditions . The fact that it took months on a thin section on a pen gives you some idea of the time it can take on a larger piece .

jttheclockman

Do you see the knot on the front of that blank. That is why it cracked. That wood will not be able to expand and contract naturally around that knot. Never a good idea to use a blank that has knots such as those in it. Asking for trouble. Just my opinion.

lwalper

I had one do something similar - osage orange, no knots, but of questionable moisture content. On disassembly I noticed a poor, POOR glue-up. I'm surprised it held together long enough to turn originally.

MTViper

Had it happen on snakewood a couple of times and on a candleholder made from B&W Ebony. That was definitely a moisture problem. I don't turn snakewood thin any more.

Top Bottom