Scalloping question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott.tudhope

Ive seen quite a few beautiful sacalloped pens lately and really want to do one. The first one I tried didn't turn out quite like the ones I've seen.

So when you are scalloping should you do a 45 degree angle? Or does the angle matter?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I do a 45 on mine, but honestly you could do just about any angle for different effects.

I have done them 45,60,30 .. the bigger the number the longer the scallops will be. I have done a few with the angle different on the opposing sides which makes two peddles bigger then the other two. Get as close to the center as you can or they will be all different sizes DAMHIK :O)

LarryE

Some times I wonder about my thinking process. Spent several hours cutting and gluing up a blank for stripes and scallops. For some reason did not think about painting the tubes or reverse on the the blank (scallops were white). After a tedious amount of time turning with very small cuts, I realized the brass was going to show through the white - two blanks and many hours wasted. Dam!!!

wiset1

Yeah, gotta reverse paint if your accent materials are translucent. I've even painted the aluminum accents just so you couldn't see it through the lucite. It really needs to be a plan before the first cut is made.

Top Bottom