a scallop question or two...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeff G

hello all.
first off may i simply say thank you to everyone here. after a four year absence i am back to my lathe for a couple of months now and this place has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration.
i have a question on making scallops. i was inspired by this years beautiful pen winner's design to try on my own and i have figured out the concept but am having a little bit of problems in my executuon.
i have been cutting my blank to a point with thirty degree cuts to start, my first question is do others use little triangle shape pieces of wood for the scallops or blocks ?..
also after the first two are glued on do you simply repeat the process 90 degrees off set ? or do you cut a matching "notch" a 30 degree cut that would fit over the partially glued up and recut blank ...hope that makes sense...in other words do you use four little triangles to make your scallops or another method?
i am using a cheape 9 inch bandsaw and it's accuracy is fishy at best,
i have read a bunch in the library, all i could find, but if anyone knows any place to read more i sure would appreciate it.
thanks for everything
JeffG

Top Bottom