Say you had $350-$400 for turning stuff...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

bandsaw(used if possible to stretch funds).
Dust collector.(Not sure what type of shop set-up you have or want,I figured as long as you already had the lathe that you probably had a shop set up.
Pen mils even thought here has to be something better

Bench sander,belt/ disc
Diamond stones
grinder
(I would make my own jigs for sharpening)
This is providing I have allotment for kits blanks and finishing supplies.These are an ongoing cost item.

knottyharry

Hi Jake,
Blanks and kits to me, are going to be a matter of preference. And prices vary from one supplier to another.
There are some really good suppliers out there. Some have specialty blanks that the others don't.
A lot ot the kits are very similiar in apperance. I can't speak for all the different kit manufacturers.
Check them out for materials and cost. Have them send you a catalog.
Woodturningz,is a good place, so is Arizona Silhouettes. And the list goes on.
To me one of the prettiest woods is the Bethlehem Olive wood. Cocobola is very nice. So is Rosewood, and there are many variations of it. There are some real nice Dymondwoods. And don't forget the Acrylics.
I hope this helps just a little.
Harry

Daniel

Jake
found myself in just this predicament when I first started turning pens.
so I can tell you just what i would do.
order about 50 slimline kits. various finishes etc. these are for trying new things with etc. occasionally comeing up with a real winner.
then look through P.S.I. catalog, woodturners or Berea, or better yet all three. pick 6-12 styles you want to make into a line of pens you will carry. then spend the rest with B.B. getting the nicest blanks money can buy. save some change for getting some enexpensive blanks.
when it all arrives. use the slimlines and cheap blanks to find various pen shapes etc that really knock you out. when you find just that suttle barrel shape or inlay design. work it into one of the nicer kits and BB Burl blanks. you now have a "Signature Pen" that is all your own. from my few hundred dollars I actually ended up with 4 or 5. all the fun was in finding them. looking at many pens and picking just the subtlest curve of the lower barrel. or just that line that added the extra something. I actually have drafted drawings that I follow now.
in reality i have over a thousand dollars to spend in the next couple of weeks. most of it is going into a cyclone dust collector. I've put more than $500.00 into woods, kits, tools etc. in the last month. the kits are going to be my next search and creat. this time it is not about form. it is about inlay and material combinations. the kits are coming from my friends at POC.

woodpens

Jake,

I would first call Craft Supplies USA (CSU) and Berea Hardwoods to request their catalogs. Look through them and decide what you like best. Then, browse http://www.arizonasilhouette.com and check out Bill Baumbeck's exclusive kits such as the Baron, as well as his beautiful pen blanks. Then, place your order with Bill, either online or the telephone. He sells all of the kits I mentioned.

Now, as for my own preferences, I would buy an assortment of Junior Gentleman, Junior Statesman and Baron pens with a mix of rollerball and fountains. Then, I would tell Bill to take the rest of the money and impress me with his pen blanks. You won't be disappointed. [:D]

Fred in NC

Well, Daniel is not the only one! I put the money from recent sales back into kits, wood, etc. Part went to AS, part to Woodturninz, and some to various wood suppliers. I need to build up my inventory again, I am down to less than 12 pens. And some will be for experimenting, like Daniel said, "search and creat." I have a new outlet for pens, and my 2005 line will need to be ready soon.

woodscavenger

A pile of MM, a pile of BOW and then a bunch of woods I've never heard of just for fun. I would also get the assorted packs from Penn State and create a wall display with "Wood of the World"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom