saw blade for cross pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoplow

I'm shopping for a thin kerf blade to try my hand at cross pens and I found a CMT blade that is considerably thinner than the Dewalt Diablo 36 tooth thin kerf. Is it too thin?. Dewalt:.071 CMT: .040 I thought maybe with this blade I might be able to do a double cross design on kits with smaller barrels.
Thanks
Roy

gerryr

The kerf of the blade is actually irrelevant. The trick that I learned in doing my second cross was that you need to remove as wood as you'll be putting back in. On a single cross, it doesn't matter nearly as much as it does on a double cross. I would highly recommend experimenting with some scrap wood first, even for a single cross. The first time I tried it, I ruined a peice of Amboyna Burl and some piano key ivory.

snoplow

Thanks Gerry, I've made a few crosses and tried a double cross, they turned out ok, but I found the double cross was too "crowded" on a small barrel so I was looking at a blade with a thinner kerf.

gerryr

When you say small barrel are you talking about a slimline? And when say it was too "crowded" do you mean the rings were too close together? If they were too close together, you might try just changing the angle of the cut. I've never tried it on a slimline, but I would guess you would probably need a 60 degree angle on something that thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom