Save a couple bucks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Save a couple bucks? (Using 15mm blanks)

Ok, I'm Cheap!!! Frugal sounded better, but CHEAP fits.

Last order, I bought some 15mm Alternative ivory rods. VERY close to 5/8". Now, I have put them in my Beall collet and drilled the 10.5mm hole that a sierra uses, and BINGO!!! a nearly finished pen!!!

15mmdrillbealnet.jpg

This pic shows the 15mm blank (with the sierra tube partially inserted) and the drill bit - 10.5mm. As you can see, it leaves enough material to finish off the pen, even if you choose to make a "Vista" version.

Those who have the Pen Wizard, this is a GREAT starting point for making blanks for the Wiz. Mount them on the Wiz and put in your pattern, fill with epoxy and desired color and re-turn to finished dimension. Also sand and polish as usual.

Save time, money and waste!!! I like that!!!

Yes, I have listed some 15mm options on Dawn's new site, drop by and take a look, if you wish. See Signature line and thanks!!

Attachments

• 15mmdrillbealnet.jpg
    15mmdrillbealnet.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dean,

I think that would be pushing the envelope (tho you are NOT the first to inquire). My suggestion was to do the pen section with 15mm and the cap with 20mm - there is no "grain match" on alternative ivory, so this would work. On the other products, I wouldn't try it, personally. (But, then, I broke an "Eagle" blank some time ago in a process like this, so I am pretty gunshy!!)

pipecrafter

Don't have a pen wizard, but I'm curious Ed - Will this work for the Jr Gent too (with the 12.5mm?? Or is that too tight a fit?

I'm not certain about 15mm, but I've used 16mm cumberland to make Jr Gents and there was plenty of material available for shaping. Not a ton, but enough to justify the use of a skew to slice some off.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks Kurt!!

It is probably POSSIBLE, but drilling has never been my forte'. It would require a sharp bit and a steady feed (NEITHER of which fit my pattern!)

I don't doubt for a minute it COULD be done, but sure as I recommend it, I will hear from half a dozen people who tried and blew out the blank - they will recall I said it COULD be done - that's all they will recall. Safer to say it's difficult and marginally possible!!!!

pipecrafter

I hear ya, Ed. I've said many things are *possible* based on my own experimentation, but then heard from people who claim the exact opposite - usually when it ends up costing them money.

Randy_

Ed: I was excited to see that Dawn's site was up and operating. Have been waiting in anticipation since the post several weeks ago when there was a discussion of her abalone blank.

Sadly, I had some trouble with the new web site. The displayed page was cut off on the right and there was no way to view all of the information. Admittedly, I am still using 800x600 screen resolution so these tired old eyes don't have to work too hard; but, usually, when a web page is too large to display properly, I at least get a scroll bar so I can scroll left/right and see the full display. Just FYI, the pages are cut off at the "y" on the PP button. I can not view anything to the right of the "Y".

Note: Just had a semi-brainstorm. I'm going to temporarily change my screen resolution and get out the magnifying glass so I can view the full page; but there is still an apparent flew somewhere??

Other disappointment was I found a short description of the blank; but no picture, pricing or ordering info.:frown:

Top Bottom