Sat. Reminder:Amico de penna "Bubbasville East"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

clewless

Amico de penna = friends of the pen = pen pals

I guess this really sums up what we are all about here. We are pen pals in many different ways.

For almost 4 years Jeff Carrell has been hosting pen turners’ get-togethers at “Bubbasville†in Hurst, TX.

Well, that’s a little too far for us folks on the East Coast, so I have decided to open my shop in Earleville, MD (zip 21919) (part of a three car garage â€" not equipped like the real Bubbasville) to my amico de penna so we can get together and share our pen making techniques like the folks in Texas.

To get this started, I’m keeping the format simple:

bring your pens for show and tell, bring stuff to demonstrate, bring pens to turn, bring lunch and a chair. (No dogs or children please.) Depending on the turnout (I have two lathes), we may need folks to bring some equipment too.

Time: 9:30 AM till you’re tired or 5 PM

I will plan on being in my shop on the following dates and hope that some fellow pen turners will join me.

Dates: Saturday, July 15
Saturday, August 12
Saturday, Sept. 9
Saturday, Oct. 14
Add’l. dates to be determined

General location: I am 45 minutes from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, one hour from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Accurate directions available when you decide to come.

Please let me know if you’re interested in coming so we can share your particular skills.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Joe, those dates are good for me, just one little problem....
per Mapquest.....2,398.69 miles or 35 hours 47 minutes, depending on traffic [:D]

It was good to meet you in Provo, I am sure your Amico de penna will be a blast [:)]

its_virgil

As a "bubbasville citizen" when I have a chance to attend (125 miles away), I can say that you and your pen pals will have a great time. But as Anthony stated, it is a bit far for me also. I hope it grows and some of your "citizens" have to bring their minni lathes to accommodate the turners. It was good to meet you in Provo. Have fun.

Okay you guys in the Maryland area....support Joe's efforts...you will not regret it....I know it will be a great time.

do a good turn daily!
Don

JimGo

I'm going to try to be there for the October date. Of course, I don't have any other plans between now and October, except for THOSE weekends!

Any way, thanks for setting this up Joe!

jssmith3

Originally posted by clewless
<br />Anthony,

So get a van and start picking up folks as you head East...ride sharing will reduce the strain and cost...[:D][;)]
Great idea with the van, don't forget to pick me up too [:D]
Janet :)

jcarrell

joe, very cool that you are starting "amico de penna"!!!!!!

i won't be able to attend in july, as that's the regular bubbasville day...

however, i occasionally get out kinda your way once or twice a year for work, so perhaps in the future i'll be close enough (within say 400mi or so) during one of y'all's get-togethers to join in, if that's ok :)

a few guys in the GA area had mentioned about doing a 'bubbasville' type gig, but i never heard back from them if they got it going or not...and if they did, i didn't here from them when i was out that-away last month...

i agree with don, penturnin with a bunch of other penturners is alot of fun, a great way to learn a new skill, and boy can we all tell pen stories (kinda like fish stories!)

if you have any kind of special demos, etc., be sure to advertise them, who knows who may show up ;-) also a great way to share the talent within your geographic area...

bw, are you gonna fire up a website for the group??

best wishes for amico de penna!!!!!

torne pluma...jeff carrell, one of the bubbas, in foat wuth TX :)

penturners track at the annual texas woodturning symposium - SWAT, for more info goto www.swaturners.com

www.bubbasville.com

Originally posted by clewless
<br /><b>Amico de penna</b> = friends of the pen = pen pals

Dates: Saturday, July 15
Saturday, August 12
Saturday, Sept. 9
Saturday, Oct. 14
Add’l. dates to be determined

jthompson1995

I'll have to check on my schedule, but hopefully I can make it to one or two of the dates you have listed. I'm in Parkville, MD and so only about 70 miles away. I think it'd be great to meet some other MD penturners.

Jason

Jerryconn

Well, it's about a 350 mile trip for me, I can't make the one in July but I may well try to make the one in August! Thanks for setting this up and opening your shop to us.

emackrell

Joe, I can't make the July date but will try for the August one! Think I'm only a couple of hours from you, depending on the vagaries of DC traffic of course. Can promise to bring pens and questions, but skills, I'm not so sure....[;)]

cheers Eileen

BigRob777

Hi All,
I have been chatting with Joe for some time now and realized that I never chipped in with this post. I'll be at all of them, as far as I know, barring severe back pain, or a wedding, or something like that. I won't be a vendor at this awesome meeting, but I'm willing to bring orders, to save you guys, or gals on shipping.

We had a BBQ at my place and a lot of our local turners came. It was one of the best times of my life and we didn't even break out the lathes. This will be even better. I can't wait. I got to meet Draken, for the first time and that guy Jim something[:D]. Just kidding, Jim and Michael (MDWine) were the first two pen turners I ever met. I've cleared my schedule for each of these dates. Finally, my jealousy of you fortunate Texas turners will end. We can finally have a "Bubbasville East". I hope that's the name. It's a lot easier to remember than "Amico Penny". I think that translates into a gas station coin. Sorry Joe, you might want to check up on your Swahili.[:eek:)]

Oh, yeah. All of you folks whom I haven't yet met, I look forward to that too. Maybe I can donate some of my duplicate tools.

See ya in two days. Maybe that's why I can't sleep.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom