Sandpaper????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck B

What type is best to use for our turnings?

Aluminum oxide
Aluminum oxide cloth
Sterated aluminum oxide
silicon carbide
Ganet sheets
Klingspoor gold
Silicone carbide sterated

Dd I miss any [?]:D

What type gives you the best bang for your buck?
Were do you get it from?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GreggR

I use all that you listed... each has benefits. The garnets are "sharp" and in the finer grits cut quicker than the oxides. The oxides are a good all around choice, but I don't pay extra for the cloth backed because I use fresh swatches for each pen. I've found the need to be careful with silicon carbides in the finer grits, especially on open-pore woods. The carbides detach or break off as the sheet wears, which is normal for all abrasives, but the carbides are very sharp and hard - finding their way into the wood grain. They have a shiny quality to them, so they stand out like a sore thumb. And since they are so hard they easily wedge themselves into the pores. I've found most of the oxides will not wedge themselves into open pored wood and can be easily removed with a puff of compressed air or a wet/dry vacuum prior to finishing. Just my thoughts, others may have found different results. I like the Klingspor brands, and do use MicroMesh since I occasionally sand through 4000 mesh. The MicroMesh is very expensive.

I found the multi-sided abrasive nail buffs (like Revlon, etc, found in the aisle with finger-nail files)a great value and they work really well to finish pens. They sell for less than 5 bucks, and are foam-backed so they take forms other than straight (tapered, curves, etc). The only thing I would caution about the nail buffs is since they are four-sided, if you use heavy pressure you can deflect the buff to the point the adjacent face touches the surface. This is a bummer if you have already worked through that grit!! I really like that there are 8 grits on these little buffs, two per side.

Bang for the buck? Aluminum oxide is an economical choice because so much of it is produced and sold.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
For what its worth, I have recently started using the Norton 3-X in all grits up to 400. I like it better than anything else I have ever used, so I won't be changing anytime soon. I have always used the 3M Imperial in grits of 600 and higher.

gerryr

I use Norton 3X up to 400 and Klingspor Stearate from 600 to 1500. I've been using the Norton for about 6 months and really like it, much better than the 3M stuff that Home Depot sells. I get the Norton at Lowe's, or is it the other way around, I can never remember until I actually get there.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I should confess, I get my Klingspor gold for $3.00 a pound when I am at the store.
Cloth backed and I love it.
( actually after the IAP discount it is $2.70 a pound[:D])

redfishsc

Abranet was designed for sanding Corian and similar solid surface materials. I bet you could get it cheaper if you called around to some local hardwood or cabinet maker supply places. I can get it from my local place around 20% cheaper than PSI.

That being said, I am fond of Norton 3X for pens. It lasts a long time and seems superior, to me, to the 3M price equivalent.

lwalden

We just finished a bulk buy on abranet- you might want to check out the feedback from the new (1st time)users on the 4th and 5th pages of that thread. With the bulk buy, we were able to get pricing that was 2/3rds off of the PSI pricing.
Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />Abranet was designed for sanding Corian and similar solid surface materials. I bet you could get it cheaper if you called around to some local hardwood or cabinet maker supply places. I can get it from my local place around 20% cheaper than PSI.

That being said, I am fond of Norton 3X for pens. It lasts a long time and seems superior, to me, to the 3M price equivalent.

JimGo

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Has anyone used any of the sanding sponges?

I've used the cheapies that HF sells, and they work pretty well too. The only down side is the color of the abrasive; I'm doing a lot of work with lighter colored woods, and any bushing dust was going to be bad enough! [:D]

Jerryconn

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />
Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Has anyone used any of the sanding sponges?

I've used the cheapies that HF sells and they work pretty well too. The only down side is the color of the abrasive; I'm doing a lot of work with lighter colored woods, and any bushing dust was going to be bad enough! [:D]

I use them as well plus a 320 grit 3M sponge from Lowes and recently started using a new spongy pad similar in shape to expanded metal that is 400 grit, that stuff works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom