Sanding the tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Cant find the thread that was talking about sanding the brass tubes. Well today i painted the barrels and the brass tubes were tight so I put the tube on the lath and sanded them down to fit the diameter of the painted barrel!

That's one good reason to sand there tubes George!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Reverse painting the blanks? My son tells me rifle cleaning brushes on the inside before the painting is far superior, removes drill marks and enlarges the hole a bit to compensate for the paint thickness.

Another way (that I use) is to wrap an appropriately sized rod with 220 grit sandpaper and use that to "ream" the tube. I use disassembly rods (transfer punches) from a PSI set, but you can pick them up other places as well. This also removes gunk from the inside of the blank which then doesn't mar the paint job.

sbell111

I prepare my tubes using a tiny sanding drum on a foredom tool. If the hole is too tight for painted tools, I take a sanded tube and run it through the hole in the blank. The sanded tube acts as a perfectly sized file easily opening up the drilled hole the tiny bit necessary.

JD Combs Sr

I have a full set of drill bits(fractional, letter, number, and metric) If I think I will need to paint a tube or blank I got to the next larger drill size and everything fits fine after painting both the tube and the blank.

Top Bottom