Sanding Tube

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbeyer

Earlier today I drilled and cut a blank... I glued in the tube but forgot to sand it up before I glued it in (Thick CA)... will there be a problem if I try to turn it?

Jonathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

I didn't always remember to sand the tubes. I haven't run into any coming loose, but I'm sure it can/will happen. I always make sure I sand then now.

Gary Zakian

Well that was a wake-up call! :eek:

Reading your post made me realize that I just did three (3) glue-ups yesterday, all without sanding the tubes. I used Gorilla Glue, no CA, so we will see what happens in the very near future.

Gary

Buzzzz4

I've had a couple come out. Not a problem, just sand it and glue it up again. I did have one come loose for a customer which I disassembled and reglued for her. Htat was when I used CA on acrylic.

toddlajoie

I've had a few come loose even with sanding, generally a combination of very hard wood (desert ironwood, ipe), sumo/gorilla glue, and lack of patience (not waiting overnight, I find claims of 2 hr dry time to be VERY optomistic...)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I've had a few come loose even with sanding, generally a combination of very hard wood (desert ironwood, ipe), sumo/gorilla glue, and lack of patience (not waiting overnight, I find claims of 2 hr dry time to be VERY optomistic...)
Think the 2 hours says 80 % cure, I always wait at least 12 before squaring and 24 hours before turning. I've never had a failure due to the glue since I started doing this. Yes I do sand the tube.

Top Bottom