SANDING SCRATCHES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

As I am going through my sanding and polishing (150 grit through 12,000), sometimes my blanks pick up circular sanding marks. I do my best to use a light touch and keep my sandpaper and polishing pads moving as I sand. Anyone else have this problem? Also, what are your thoughts on using a polishing compound such as MaGuaires on your pens? Thnx. Burlman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

definitely cross sand after every grit and clean off the blank after each grit. Otherwise you'll be moving backwards in grit. I personally use Maguires PlastX polish. Haven't bothered with anything else ever since.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
As I am going through my sanding and polishing (150 grit through 12,000), sometimes my blanks pick up circular sanding marks. I do my best to use a light touch and keep my sandpaper and polishing pads moving as I sand. Anyone else have this problem? Also, what are your thoughts on using a polishing compound such as MaGuaires on your pens? Thnx. Burlman
All I can add is get better with your tools, probably sharper tools, and start nearer 320 -400 grit paper. I use Brasso to polish my CA and acrylics but no polish will eliminate deep scratches from an improperly prepped blank.

EarlD

In addition to sanding lightly with the grain (or lengthwise on the barrell) I keep an air hose right by the lathe and thoroughly blow off the turning and the sand paper or micromesh after each step. Then I check the next grit very carefully and blow it off before starting. A stray piece of grit can cause big headaches when your getting close.

When I finish 8000 and 12000 I examine the piece with a magnifying glass.

Earl

jttheclockman

If you have to start sanding below 400 grit you need to work on your tool work for sure. When you start sanding with that course of paper you need to remove quite abit of material and now you are endager of overturning the blank. Work on using a skew and you will be very thankful you did. Plastic polish is just that polish. Do not expect miracles from it. Buffing is a whole different story.

LeeR

I've only done about 30 pens, but learned to use my skew to get a very smooth finish. I might hit the blanks with 600 grit, but often go straight to MicroMesh.

propencity

A sharp skew is excellent for finishing cut and provides an already smooth surface. It saves from having to sand so much; only 320 grit, followed by 400, and then apply CA. I sand each grit with the grain before proceeding to the next grit.

rizaydog

Like others have said, it is best to start sanding at around 220. However, you can start at 60 if need be. When sanding, keep the lathe turning slowly. Keep the paper moving while sanding. When you have finished with one grit, stop the lathe. Sand along the length of the pen and remove all of the circular scratches. Pay extra attention to the ends of the barrels near the bushings. Once all of the scratches have been removed, turn the lathe back on and start this process over again with the next grit.

arw01

+1 on the advise above on starting at a high grit. However, I found as I get better even at sanding that often I do NOT have to cross sand the blank. I keep my paper moving quickly and often use some water or mineral spirits to lubricate the sandpaper in the higher grits. Below 400 I would at least check the scratch pattern close to the bushings. Often if you are going to have an issue, that is where the round scratches are the hardest to get out.

Never made the jump the micro-mesh, so I use standard automotive papers from 500, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000. And if I really want to get down and polish I have a pad of 4000. With CA finish I start at 1000 with some mineral spirits and move up quickly.

IPD_Mr

Using a plastic polish that is designed to remove scratches will take care of this. You can also remove them with a buffing wheel.

monark88

I can't imagine any need to start below 320-400. Never 60. There's something wrong elsewhere if you have to start below 400.

Mostly I start at 600-acrylic and woods. Sharp skew. I just caught on as to how to comfortably use the skew and solved much, but not all, of the sanding problems. And never forget to sand sideways or with the long axis of the blank.

Russ

sbell111

Depending on many factors, including the material being turned and my confidence level at that moment, I may or may not start off with a coarse grit paper. (There were some blanks that I was tempted to only use sandpaper on, and not use any other tools, but I resisted that temptation.)

Whether someone starts sanding with coarser grit sandpaper makes no difference to this thread. Either way, scratches caused by the sandpaper need to be addressed prior to moving on to the next grit. In this, the first few responders had it right. Sand with the grain after each grit and wipe down the blank before moving on to the next finer grit.

While starting at a coarser grit will result in the removal of more material. This will not necessarily result in an 'overturned' blank. One must consider the amount of sanding the will be required as the blank is being turned to size and compensate for it.

bradh

..... Also, what are your thoughts on using a polishing compound such as MaGuaires on your pens? Thnx. Burlman

I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze; Show car glaze, #7 when I buff. Puts a glass like finish on the CA.

Attachments

• lathe-buffer-rs.jpg
    lathe-buffer-rs.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 92

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
[/quote]
All I can add is get better with your tools, probably sharper tools, and start nearer 320 -400 grit paper. I use Brasso to polish my CA and acrylics but no polish will eliminate deep scratches from an improperly prepped blank.[/quote]

Brasso? I learned something new. :biggrin: Probably cheaper that the Novus also(?). Is it as good?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
All I can add is get better with your tools, probably sharper tools, and start nearer 320 -400 grit paper. I use Brasso to polish my CA and acrylics but no polish will eliminate deep scratches from an improperly prepped blank.[/quote]

Brasso? I learned something new. :biggrin: Probably cheaper that the Novus also(?). Is it as good?[/quote]

It is inexpensive and 1 can/bottle will last years. I prefer the results to nearly ALL other polishes I've tried.

Last edited:

sbell111

Brasso does sound like a strange choice. As I understand it, it polishes brass and the like mostly because it has a solvent that reacts with the metal.

I use a variety of automotive compounds and polishes to mimic the performance of novus at a greatly reduced price.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Brasso does sound like a strange choice. As I understand it, it polishes brass and the like mostly because it has a solvent that reacts with the metal.

I use a variety of automotive compounds and polishes to mimic the performance of novus at a greatly reduced price.

Here is a thought. What do you suppose other folks thought when someone mentioned finishing wood with Super Glue??:eek::wink::biggrin:

Geppetto

Try different methods

I think that everyone develops their own process over time. You pick things up from others but once you find what works for you, it will almost become a ritual. Like a ball player wearing a lucky pair of dirty socks.

For me, the corner stone of a good finish is the sanding of the raw blank. The smoother the sanded blank is, the better the finished blank will become. I usually start with Micro Mesh. If I have metal inlay, I'll start with 320 to get a clean edge on the metal. Otherwise, if I have a mark that the MM won't remove, I go back and clean it up with a skew. I don't like to start with regular paper because it's residue dulls my MM and my tools.

For wood I go 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600 sanding with the grain only and never turning the lathe on. I find it redundant to put circular scratches on the surface only to remove them by sanding with the grain later. It doesn't seem to accomplish anything for me except take up more time.

When I get to the polishing grits 4000, 6000, 8000 & 12000, I power up the lathe to reduce the labor and achieve higher polish. The speed is probably around 700 RPM. I go back after each polishing grit and lightly sand lengthwise. I'm not sure it's necessary because I can't see a difference with my naked eye. But I do it anyway because I've been working with wood for so long that my conscience won't let me skip it.

Before I apply CA, I clean up the blank with accelerator and let it thoroughly dry. Then I apply CA (no BLO) with the lathe turning at about 500 RPM letting the glue dry between coats. 4 or 5 coats of "woodenwonders" medium is probably the norm for me. I don't really count the coats, I go more by how it looks. Then I do a cursory run through of the MM sanding grits just to remove any obvious bumps or ridges. Next I apply another coat or two of thick CA lengthwise with a piece of a foam makeup application wedge that I get at the local drug store. I can't use the stuff with the lathe running or it will react with the CA and get very hot, very quickly and screw up my work and burn my finger. But with the power off, it's really great at flowing that last coat or two of thick with out leaving much sanding work and giving the finish good depth. Then I pull it off of the lathe and let it hang on a bolt overnight to dry completely.

When I come back to it, I check for any drips. I get them sometimes if I put the last coat on too thick. If I find any, I remove them on the lathe with a careful use of a skew. Then I follow the same MM routine as described above. I make sure I have all the shiny spots removed by the 1800 grit. I don't have to wet sand because hand sanding doesn't build up enough heat to melt the CA. By doing this, the MM has more cut and it actually saves time.

I finish with an application of Meguire's ScratchX 2.0. I'm told that Nova 2.0 is even better than Mequire's but I've never tried it. I've tried Brasso but it has an abrasive in it that is actually coarser than the MM finish so IMO the result is duller than what I started with.

This process works for me every time. By making sure the accelerator is completely dry and not using any water, the chances of the CA getting any cloudy areas is eliminated. It really doesn't take as long as it would seem from reading this. Except for the drying time, I think it took me longer to write it down than it does to do the process from start to finish and I type 50WPM.

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I think that everyone develops their own process over time. You pick things up from others but once you find what works for you, it will almost become a ritual. Like a ball player wearing a lucky pair of dirty socks.

For me, the corner stone of a good finish is the sanding of the raw blank. The smoother the sanded blank is, the better the finished blank will become. I usually start with Micro Mesh. If I have metal inlay, I'll start with 320 to get a clean edge on the metal. Otherwise, if I have a mark that the MM won't remove, I go back and clean it up with a skew. I don't like to start with regular paper because it's residue dulls my MM and my tools.

For wood I go 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600 sanding with the grain only and never turning the lathe on. I find it redundant to put circular scratches on the surface only to remove them by sanding with the grain later. It doesn't seem to accomplish anything for me except take up more time.

When I get to the polishing grits 4000, 6000, 8000 & 12000, I power up the lathe to reduce the labor and achieve higher polish. The speed is probably around 700 RPM. I go back after each polishing grit and lightly sand lengthwise. I'm not sure it's necessary because I can't see a difference with my naked eye. But I do it anyway because I've been working with wood for so long that my conscience won't let me skip it.

Before I apply CA, I clean up the blank with accelerator and let it thoroughly dry. Then I apply CA (no BLO) with the lathe turning at about 500 RPM letting the glue dry between coats. 4 or 5 coats of "woodenwonders" medium is probably the norm for me. I don't really count the coats, I go more by how it looks. Then I do a cursory run through of the MM sanding grits just to remove any obvious bumps or ridges. Next I apply another coat or two of thick CA lengthwise with a piece of a foam makeup application wedge that I get at the local drug store. I can't use the stuff with the lathe running or it will react with the CA and get very hot, very quickly and screw up my work and burn my finger. But with the power off, it's really great at flowing that last coat or two of thick with out leaving much sanding work and giving the finish good depth. Then I pull it off of the lathe and let it hang on a bolt overnight to dry completely.

When I come back to it, I check for any drips. I get them sometimes if I put the last coat on too thick. If I find any, I remove them on the lathe with a careful use of a skew. Then I follow the same MM routine as described above. I make sure I have all the shiny spots removed by the 1800 grit. I don't have to wet sand because hand sanding doesn't build up enough heat to melt the CA. By doing this, the MM has more cut and it actually saves time.

I finish with an application of Meguire's ScratchX 2.0. I'm told that Nova 2.0 is even better than Mequire's but I've never tried it. I've tried Brasso but it has an abrasive in it that is actually coarser than the MM finish so IMO the result is duller than what I started with.

This process works for me every time. By making sure the accelerator is completely dry and not using any water, the chances of the CA getting any cloudy areas is eliminated. It really doesn't take as long as it would seem from reading this. Except for the drying time, I think it took me longer to write it down than it does to do the process from start to finish and I type 50WPM.

It does have an abrasive that while technically is coarser, it has a different shaped scratch pattern than the MM so at this point comes the debate as to which is "duller". All in the eye of the beholder at this point.:wink: I am not trying to discourage any method only putting out there one that others may wish to consider.

sbell111

Here is a thought. What do you suppose other folks thought when someone mentioned finishing wood with Super Glue??:eek::wink::biggrin:
Point taken.

Top Bottom