Sanding metal segmented pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiny98

Hey there! new to this site Ive recently fell in love with turning pens. Ive done quite a few now. I tried to make a cherry pen blank with aluminum running thru it, it turned out pretty good till i started to sand it. I kinda figured it would but i had to try. When i sanded it it turned black around the metal just like when yopu sand to close to the bushings. How would a guy sand it smooth wothouot this happening? Im pretty good with a skew but I still usually sand to 600 after im done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW this a pretty awesome site ya got here, stuffed right full of good info. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiny98

Thanks for the welcomes guys, Im not to shabby with a skew so ill try it and see what i can do thanks again

Mr Vic

Use blackwood....you won't see it!!:tongue:

Seriouslly, by the time I get it turned to size the blank is pretty well saturated with CA. Especially around the metal segments. If you have a tight fit on the segement there isn't much glue at the bottom of the cut and the chance of blow out increases. Applying thin CA as you go helps maintain integrity. Add a final coat before sanding and your esentially sanding metal and acrylic and and grey streak should wipe off with some denatured achohol.

At least that how I do it.....

glycerine

Use blackwood....you won't see it!!:tongue:

Seriouslly, by the time I get it turned to size the blank is pretty well saturated with CA. Especially around the metal segments. If you have a tight fit on the segement there isn't much glue at the bottom of the cut and the chance of blow out increases. Applying thin CA as you go helps maintain integrity. Add a final coat before sanding and your esentially sanding metal and acrylic and and grey streak should wipe off with some denatured achohol.

At least that how I do it.....

ditto on the CA and denatured alcohol. I use a toothebrush sometimes to really dig the metal "dust" out of the grain.

bitshird

Thanks for the welcomes guys, Im not to shabby with a skew so ill try it and see what i can do thanks again

That's your best solution, I do mine with a new insert in my Woodchuck, sealing with CA sort of helps until you go through, and you can't get enough buildup do do a decent job, SO sharp skew or carbide insert

daveeisler

Welcome aboard, you did find an amazing site, but a word of causion and I do not have an answer, but if we are lucky , someone will. When using CA in the end to sand, how do you avoid the bushing's getting glued on.

jbostian

nava1uni

Wax the bushings lightly with furniture wax, not oil, and they won't stick, or use a fine knife to lightly break the seal before removing from the mandrel..

Use compressed air to blow off the blank and it usually gets rids of the metal that has been laid down by the sanding.

Top Bottom