sanding and finishing pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rbrazil

I have been turning pens for a little over a year, and enjoy it! Has anyone ever built or seen plans for a machine that you could sand and finish a pen blank off the lathe, without buying another lathe? When I am finishing a pen with CA and give it time to dry I like to start turning another blank. Any ideas would be great.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

I take CA coated blanks off the lathe when they are dry enough to touch and hang on a wire to dry over night. I know PSI sells a slow rotating device to dry blanks on.

Regards,
Michael

larryc

I took a 2X4X12 and drilled twenty holes to hold delrin dowels. I let the blanks set overnight. If you drill holes in the bottom of the 2X4 to glue in some magnets then the holder will stay on the lathe.

farmer

Rotator

Set up a little dust free cabinet that has a motor that will rotate the pen or pens .

tonylumps

Why not a cheap used lathe that you could use for an emergency backup also_One of my Christmas presents that I bought myself was the PSI Pen Pal for a backup It weighs 14 pounds I move it around a lot.So that works out good .It was 199.00 at PSI.It has VS so I use it for Finish and turning.Remember it is a PENPAL Your not going to due Table legs or Bowls with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom