sanding and finishing light colored woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

highpockets

I am new to penturning and this is my first post. I began making pens around Nov. 2013 and made several for Christmas gifts. All who received them were well pleased. I am having a problem in sanding and finishing lighter colored woods. It seems that I am getting some filings from the bushings into the wood no matter how hard I try to keep it out of the wood.
Anyone have any suggestions how I might remedy this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Take the bushings off. Either finish between centers or get a set of finishing bushings. Woodturningz sells a tapered set that will fit most pen kits. Just be sure not to sand the barrels down too much since you don't have the bushings to reference.

rossvh

I finish all my wood pens using Delrin bushings. They are tapered and fit all tube sizes. The best thing is the CA sticks but is easily taken off. I highly recommend the Delrin bushings.

Allen_B

I have been having this problem too. I was only using a gouge to cut down my blank and then I would sand it down with 150. I recently started using a skew and I like it a lot. I don't have pits like before with the gouge and my black marks are gone. I'm going to try some curly maple to be sure I got it right.

I also started wiping down the blanks after each sanding stage to get rid of all debris.

StuartCovey

I've heard of some people using an air gun to blow out the debris. I haven't tried it yet but it might be an easy solution.

Yup, this is what I did and it helps a lot, but it can't quite get it all.
I've started turning between centers and that has fixed the problem (and many other problems) permanently.

I think Allen touched on an important point. I use a skew also and I get finishes that really don't require much sanding at all. If you have pits in your wood you are bound to get junk stuck into them. I used to have these same issues but have much less now that I am using the skew. I also have much more issues with this if I am wet sanding the wood with walnut oil. Although the walnut oil gives such a beautiful finish...

Dr.Internet

Turning between centers. Please explain. I'm having a problem with light color woods also. Thanks, Frank

To turn between centers you need a dead-center in your headstock. Be sure to get one with the correct taper. It will turn with the headstock (remove the chuck).

You also need a live center in your tail stock. It will turn freely. You can get a less expensive live center to start with, but eventually, you will want one that contains bearings.

Now, you can put your wood between the centers and tighten the tailstock enough to provide adequate friction on the piece. Turn on the lathe and away you go.

If you have not already done so, after you insert the dead and live centers, bring the tailstock close to the headstock, so the centers almost touch. Crank the tailstock in slowly and see if the points meet. If not, you must adjust your tailstock. It usually move in/out by means of a lock screw and a small ramp at the base of the tailstock. It moves up/down by inserting small shims. Once set, it should be good for years.

Top Bottom