Sanding and bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hey All,
Got a quick question about bushings.
Am I supposed to try not to touch the bushings with the sand paper when I am sanding the barrels? It seems like it would be pretty hard to get up to the end of the barrel if so.
And secondly, if I can touch the bushings with the sand paper, does that ware them down at any unacceptably quick rate? Do any of you replace bushing at intervals becouse of this?
I did'nt document the bushing sizes when i got them so its hard for me to tell if I have done any noticable damage.
Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I can't really answer your question, but I can tell you that I have sanded every bushing I own and some of them have been used for a dozen or more pens without any ill affects in terms of fit. The CSUSA kit instructions all have the bushing dimensions on them if I recall correctly, but remember that not every bushing will be exactly as specified on them. I imagine that eventually the bushing do wear down and have to be replace, but I can't tell you how long it takes. It would be nice if the bushings were hardened steel, but they're not. In the long run though they're very cheap.

Dario

I've never replaced a bushing due to sanding problem. I actually prefer them a bit lower since the finish I am using (CA or lacquer) builds up a bit.

If the bushing does go thinner than you want...just build it up with CA [;)]. Again there is an advantage on this since you won't be sanding metal which can "stain" light woods.

stevers

I know what your saying about the light woods, I have had that happen to me.
And I agree, bushing are pretty cheap and it couldnt hurt to have a few sets for each kit.
Its just so easy to run the sand paper back and forth across the barrel and I think I get closer fits that way too. Especially now that I have switched from PSI to CSUSA kits and supplies.
Thanks for the info, you confermed what I had hoped.

Rifleman1776

I use the bushings as I believe they are intended to be used. Meaning I sand down to the bushings. This was a problem for me early on in penturning. Then Lou made a posting that changed my opinion regarding bushings. He said they are a disposable/consumable item for him. Use until they are too worn or damaged to give perfect results then discard and replace. They are not excessively expensive and do last a long time, even with sanding. BTW, cleaning your blank with denatured alcohol before finishing is highly advisable to remove the gray crud off the bushing from sanding.

Dario

Re: cleaning. I use one of my baby's Gerber (baby food NOT feeding LOL) bottle filled with acetone. Just throw dirty bushings in there overnight and fish them out the following day. Wipe clean and you are ready.

HINT, it is a lot easier to get them back out if you string them all together with a copper wire (or anything similar). You can use a hooked paperclip to fish them out [;)].

stevers

Thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I thought and hoped to hear. I'll just make a point every dozen or so pens to put a micrometer on the bushings. And of course in the time in between i'll just keep an eye on the fit upon assembly.
Thanks again,

JimQ

GerryR, You asked about hardened steel bushings, there is a reason they are mild steel. If they were hardened, you would have problems if you hit them with your chisels.

JimQ

knottyharry

Steve,
I use them till I feel like they need to be replaced. Then I put on a new set, like was mentioned...they aren't very expensive. I keep some of the old ones and paint them to use for filler when I need to take up space...and I can tell which is new and which is old.
Sand toward the bushing...and wipe the dust often. Don't drag the dust from the bushings back onto the wood...it is very noticible on light wood.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom