Sanding Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JCochrun

I've been using the sanding pads for plastic and wet-sanding acrylics. Is that the best way? Can I use regular sandpaper? The sanding pads seem to wear out so fast.

Appreciate all comments.

Thanks,

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Sanding acrylics/plastics can be done with regular sandpaper. I often sand to 600 then change to micro mesh and sand wet. I also like the acrylic sanding pads sold by Arizona Silhouette. I have used wet or dry auto sanding paper. I suppose I have used a wide variety of sanding media and found them all quite satisfactory. I have recently started using a product from The Sanding Glove called 3M WetOrDry Polishing Paper. The package has 3 sheets each of 400, 600, 1200,3000, 6000, and 8000 grit equivalents and sells for $8.95.I really like the product and have no affiliation with The Sanding Glove nor 3M.
Do a good turn daily!
'Don

I've been using the sanding pads for plastic and wet-sanding acrylics. Is that the best way? Can I use regular sandpaper? The sanding pads seem to wear out so fast.

Appreciate all comments.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• figure 1.jpg
    figure 1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:

08K.80

I use regular 320 grit sandpaper and then use the wet/dry automotive sandpaper from 400 grit up to 1500 grit.

Donovan

I use normal wet sand paper the type used in automotive re-spray shops. I start with 400 and then go straight to 1200. After that I use some plastic polish. This works well for me

Donovan

Soup

I have occasionally used 320 or 400 right after my skew or a carbide tool, but most all of the time go directly to wet sanding with MM, and those have lasted a loooong time. On wood blanks, that is a different story...

randyrls

One thing not mentioned so far, is to wet sand at a low speed, say 400 to 500 RPM. Sand with the lathe on, and then sand along the lathe axis with the lathe off. Wet-Dry paper can be had from suppliers or at auto parts stores.

Top Bottom