sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Not a silly question.. I don't. Not necessary for a pen blank. If I wanted to mass produce pens I'd buy a CNC lathe... would turn and sand...but that takes the fun & craft out of it.
How would power sanding by applied?

KenV

Yes, but with the very very small sanding rounds or polishing bobs about the size of a pencil eraser. And then not unless there is a need to address issues with specific locations.
Foredom handpiece to provide the power.

I also use a 2 inch disc holder in a collet chuck to sand and polish ends of seam rippers crochet hooks and pen center bands.

Marcros

I consider it 'power sanding' if you're sanding with the lathe turned on. And, I admit, I've used a coarse grit before at high speed to do some shaping... :redface:

Me too.

I was referring to sanding with the lathe spinning, whilst using an arbour on a drill to sand with. the drill is also running.

The idea is that you don't get radial scratches

frank123

Why not try it?

Anything that works is fine, particularly if it works better.

You don't find out till you try.

I do wonder if, especially with the coarser grits, it would be easy to gouge the blank and ruin it. A variable speed Dremmel type tool might be easier to control.

Jolly Red

I have used the non-powered inertial sanders to sand blanks, they will sand without leaving sanding marks. I have one of the Sorby miniature sanders, which uses 1" discs, and it does a good job. I think a power sander would be too aggressive and remove too much wood.

Top Bottom