Sander Milling question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keapople

I just got a 12" disc sander for the purpose of end milling...

Is anyone else doing it this way?
If so, are you using the gizmo from Penn Industires, or is there a better way to make sure its square?

Thanks
kirby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

When I have a blank that I don't want to use a pen mill on, I mount it on the lathe, turn it to a cylinder, and then true the end on a 12" disk sander. I just hold it against the table and a piece of square stock held to the t-square. I rotate it while sanding and and that yields a pretty good square end. Then I remount the blank and turn it to shape.

Regards,
Eric

great12b4ever

Check the Library. There is a tutorial about a disc sanding jig that will work for various size blanks/tubes and true up your blanks square with the tubes. I am not sure exactly where it is, but I actually made one.

Hey Greg,

I have been using this method for a good long while ...

I have made at least four different designs, and am now revamping toward the "final" version .. it will be a drill chuck squared to a base, then use, the wonderful HarbourFreight pinpunch set to match tube diameters .. thus far, it works for everything except closed ended blanks ...

gmcnut

Jeff,

Interesting idea using the HF pin punch set to give you different sizes. That's using your noodle!

Top Bottom