Sand Paper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rebfan04

Hey another question for you guys. Ive used a couple brands of sandpaper rolls to do finish work. Is there a difference in quality of sandpaper rolls. I've prob. not done enough to be able to tell yet. I picked some up at HF and not sure its good quality. What do yall use and where to buy?

Thanks, you guys always give good advice!
Roger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I just use the one from Woodcraft with all the grits. It is the only ones I have experience with. Although as my skills have improved very rarely do I use the 150 grits anymore. My buddy suggested I cut those strips in 1/2 which I did and have them in a bag. I have a whole mess of it I rarely grab for now lol.

I use P grade wet dry sand paper, I have been doing this for many years, P grade has a more consistent size in the abrasive grain that the CAMI grade, I made my choice to use P after speaking with a man who is in the custom automotive paint world and has a wall full of trophies for his paint quality

Attachments

• abrasive_grading.jpg
    abrasive_grading.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

monophoto

A friend alerted me to this. It's all high-quality German-made, P grade stuff, and the price is pretty good.

You don't get to specify what is in the box - it's whatever they have as roll ends on the day your box is packed. In my case, I got a selection starting at P180 and running to P800. The only negative is that because it's left-overs, the selection is inconsistent. For example, some of mine is on a very heavy, extremely stiff fabric backing that is harder to use if the turning has lots of small detail. Another example - in one instance, it is so obviously a roll end that only half of the width is actually coated with abrasive. But these are not major issues and I can live with them.

Canadian_Kid

The Norton 3X from Home Depot is the best as far as sand paper goes in my opinion. Make sure to get the 3X not just the regular one. I havent tried abranet yet but most people say it is great stuff.

Dave Turner

I've used the turners roll pack from Woodcraft. Sands fine, but it clogs up quickly. I've also used Norton 3X. Sands fine, but clogs up quickly. Finally, I tried the Abranet. This sands great and doesn't clog up at all because of its open mesh design. A few quick taps loosens any accumulated sanding dust. This also lasts much longer. With the regular sandpaper, I needed a new strip for each blank. With the Abranet, I just flick it a few times with my finger to clear it off and it's good to go again. Each grit is still going strong after 10+ pen blanks. I use a flexible soft sanding block behind the Abranet for support (it came with the Abranet).

Dave

ctubbs

I tried the HF junk back a bit. I still have it just to remind me to never use it again. On dark wood, it might be almost usable. On light wood, it sheds very bad leaving black specks embedded in the wood, not good. Buy a name brand of the light color wet/dry paper. Spend a few dollars more and you will not be sorry. IMHO
Charles

Canadian_Kid

I would have to say that the Norton is better than what you are saying. I can get a few pens out of each strip and it isn't that expensive so I dont have a problem with using it. As far as the turners packs I find that they are extreamly fast clogging and you will go through it fast.

I've used the turners roll pack from Woodcraft. Sands fine, but it clogs up quickly. I've also used Norton 3X. Sands fine, but clogs up quickly. Finally, I tried the Abranet. This sands great and doesn't clog up at all because of its open mesh design. A few quick taps loosens any accumulated sanding dust. This also lasts much longer. With the regular sandpaper, I needed a new strip for each blank. With the Abranet, I just flick it a few times with my finger to clear it off and it's good to go again. Each grit is still going strong after 10+ pen blanks. I use a flexible soft sanding block behind the Abranet for support (it came with the Abranet).

Dave

thewishman

I also use Norton 3X - but it is TOO expensive at HD. I get the contractors packs - 20 sheets for $10 - $13. Don't waste too much time trying to make the paper last (I used to think it was frugal - but it was just being cheap) - it works much better to use a fresh strip.

You'll be surprised at how much better a good quality paper makes your pens look and feel.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here's what I use:

Ultimate Performance, Norton A275,

A275 is sandpaper technology at its best. It cuts faster, runs cooler, resists loading better and lasts far longer than any conventional sandpaper. What makes high performance A275 deliver? A sharp, heat-treated P-graded aluminum oxide abrasive coupled with an anti-loading agent, bonded to a tough, tear resistant latex/paper backing. The result? A high-quality, high-performance long-lasting sandpaper that produces a quick, cool cut without loading.

I purchase from Car-Quest, an automotive parts store, in sheets which I cut into 1¼" strips, cut in ½ again. It's an autobody "B" weight latex reinforced fiber paper, with a waterbased no-fil stearate. It's available to 600 grit, where the Norton 3X is only available to 400.

crabcreekind

We only get cloth backed sandpaper, for lathe work because it doesnt disintegrate and lasts longer. So i would suggest getting cloth backed sandpaper. Here is a link to where we get our sandpaper, it is a sandpaper warehouse back in pennsylvania(found it when we used to live there) http://www.supergrit.com/ . PS dont get JFLEX sandpaper it just breaks, it worse than paper backed.

itzapen

I use 3x from HD also and I color code my sandpapers with spray paint on the back. In my shop red back is 220 grit, green is 320, gold is 400 and black is 600. I cut my sheets into 1" strips across the sheet. It just makes finding the right grit at a glance. Nothing like looking at a bunch of sandpaper strips with the grit size missing and wondering what it is.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I use 3x from HD also and I color code my sandpapers with spray paint on the back. In my shop red back is 220 grit, green is 320, gold is 400 and black is 600. I cut my sheets into 1" strips across the sheet. It just makes finding the right grit at a glance. Nothing like looking at a bunch of sandpaper strips with the grit size missing and wondering what it is.
Hello Clyde; Norton 3X High Performance 600 grit sandpaper isn't shown on the Norton web site!

Just curious, if in fact your 600 grit is Norton's 3X?

Padre

Hey another question for you guys. Ive used a couple brands of sandpaper rolls to do finish work. Is there a difference in quality of sandpaper rolls. I've prob. not done enough to be able to tell yet. I picked some up at HF and not sure its good quality. What do yall use and where to buy?

Thanks, you guys always give good advice!
Roger

I use Klingspor's Gold rolls. A woodturner that works a lot on the "Amistad" here in Connecticut referred this brand to me, and I love it. I cut it into smaller, manageable lengths, about 6", then layer the grits from 180 to 400, and then clip them together with a small binder clip. That way I have all the grits I need in 1 bundle.

Hope this helps.

Jeff G

+1 on the klingspore gold rolls..but just got my first set of abranets so i am excited to see how they work...heading out to the shop to try them AND my new TBC set up...
Peace
JeffG

Brooks803

I was given a bunch of klingspore rolls a few weeks back. Haven't really done much with it. My personal fav is Mirka Goldflex with the soft pad backing. It's expensive but I haven't found anything else that works as well!

Top Bottom