Same Size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Long story short, I need new 10.5 and 12.5mm drill bits for the Jr. Gent and Jr. Statesmen kits. I'll spare you the newbie details to how I ruined mine.

I am trying to complete an order and CSUSA is out of stock on the 12.5mm, and I don't have time to buy where shipping may take a while. I was hoping to get the bits at my local homedepot, but obviously they don't carry them as most people don't know that 12.5mm and 10.5mm bits are manufactured.

I was wondering what other sizes, more common sizes, match the kits? I think someone told me 1/2" and I forgot the other one. I wanted some input as to how close to the 10.5 and 12.5 mm these bits are, and what sizes I should get.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

If you have not yet downloaded one, a drill chart is a useful thing to have. You can often find a close-enough-to-work answer. There are three referenced in the library under general references. When I checked them they appear to have broken links (I reported it). If a little undersized in the drill, sanding to a larger size works in a bind (bad pun).

sparhawk

Just finished a Jr StatesmanII today and a Jr Gent II a few days ago. Used the 1/2 inch and the 27/64 inch . Worked great. Tubes just slip in - not to tight and not too lose.The 27/64 is the bit for the sierra.

el_d

What about the large bit index from HF. Lots of people have them but not sure about the half sizes. I will be heading to my uncles out towards Bandera on Saterday maybe we can meet and I can lend you mine. They are for the Jr Gent/Statesman.

Chris Bar

Have both the 10.5 mm and the 12.5 mm, but before I made the first one, I checked the tube dimensions and determined that the 13/32 and 31/64 inch bits provided a better fit (to me) for the Jr. Gentlemen rollerball pen, which was proven by drilling tests followed by use. Ordered the HSS brad points from Griz and never looked back.

Tried the same for the Jr. Gentlemen ballpoint and pencil....duh, never thought to look at the suggested drill size, which was not the same 10.5 and 12.5 mm as for the rollerball. Needless to say, I am ordering new tubes now for the pencil after wasting a nice amboyna burl blank. Oh, the CS suggested drill sizes for the Jr. Gentlemen ballopoint and pencil are 25/64 and 15/32; next step is to measure the actual tube and figure out what size drill to actually use to prevent excessive clearance.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

I plan on buying some nice bits but for now I need something that I can get from home depot that will suffice so I can finish my order.

HD has the large set of the DeWalt pilot drill bits in 1/64 increments, for some $50. This set has all the bits I need up to 1/2" for nearly all my pens. I use 1/2" and 27/64" for the Statesman Jr, which is the same as the Gent JrII and Retro. Never had a problem with acrylics, but I paint both blank inside and tube and the a bit larger hole is beneficial here.

Long story short, I need new 10.5 and 12.5mm drill bits for the Jr. Gent and Jr. Statesmen kits. I'll spare you the newbie details to how I ruined mine.

I am trying to complete an order and CSUSA is out of stock on the 12.5mm, and I don't have time to buy where shipping may take a while. I was hoping to get the bits at my local homedepot, but obviously they don't carry them as most people don't know that 12.5mm and 10.5mm bits are manufactured.

I was wondering what other sizes, more common sizes, match the kits? I think someone told me 1/2" and I forgot the other one. I wanted some input as to how close to the 10.5 and 12.5 mm these bits are, and what sizes I should get.

Thanks.

If you have a HUT catalog, there is a drill size comparison chart in there.. really nice, gives letter designators, metric size and imperial sizes... just a matter of doing a quick run down the appropriate column to find what you need. I keep a copy in a note book in my shop.

L1Truckie

Texas.....

Along with what Hughblie wrote, and what I told you in your last post asking about this.....Go to Grainger...there are two stores in San Antonio.....High quality like you were wanting.....priced from $10 to $300 for a bit............in those sizes you were needing

pipecrafter

I picked up a set of pilot point bits from woodcraft ranginf from 1/16" on up to 1/2" by 1/64" increments a while back - for $17. Pilot point doesn't suit everything I do perfectly, but it's nice to have a whole set to fall back on if I need it.

But, failing that, check your local mom-n-pop hardware store too! The one in town where I live has every bit size by 1/64" increments, and even a bunch of letter and number size drills as well. They even have sizes that the big-box stores don't - never mind some hard to find stuff that the national chains stopped carrying long ago.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
For the Junior Gent II I ended up using a 1/2" and epoxy for the top (the
extra room was appreciated, it stopped the Tru-Stone from splitting)
and I think I used a Z bit for the bottom.

Rudy Vey

I picked up a set of pilot point bits from woodcraft ranginf from 1/16" on up to 1/2" by 1/64" increments a while back - for $17. Pilot point doesn't suit everything I do perfectly, but it's nice to have a whole set to fall back on if I need it.

But, failing that, check your local mom-n-pop hardware store too! The one in town where I live has every bit size by 1/64" increments, and even a bunch of letter and number size drills as well. They even have sizes that the big-box stores don't - never mind some hard to find stuff that the national chains stopped carrying long ago.

Are you sure you got Pilot bits and not Brad point bits - quite different.As far as I know these Pilot bits are only available from DeWalt. I have also one of the WC brad point bit set, they are not that bad, but I prefer the excellent quality of the DeWalt Pilot bits.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Are you sure you got Pilot bits and not Brad point bits - quite different.As far as I know these Pilot bits are only available from DeWalt. I have also one of the WC brad point bit set, they are not that bad, but I prefer the excellent quality of the DeWalt Pilot bits.

Agree.. I got the Wiodcraft set just because of the price, but they are
brad point, not pilot point. (If this is the same set)

Pilot points are great. I got the DeWalt Extreme (might be called XT) set
for about $70, but I've seen them for less lately. HD had a set on sale, but
there were only 14 bits.

I wish they'd make a metric set (or that I could find them locally..)

Top Bottom