Same kits but different size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hornet406

So I just recently purchased 2 of PSI classic twist 24K pen kits. I cut both sets of blanks and prepped and glued the brass inside. I then turned the first pen and set it aside. But when I mounted the second set on the mandrel is when I realized I needed to add an additional spacer because I couldn't get it tight. I compared the 2 pen kits side by side and there is about 1/4" difference in length.

My problem is I don't know which length is correct and my instructions only say the usual cut to fit plus 1/16th. I don't want to put if together and it doesnt work.

Anyone know how I can find the correct size? Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The slimline is not a critical length. Use whichever are the longest two tubes for the bottom "PEN part" and the shorter ones for the top "clip, twist" part.

The only critical (ehhhh, kinda) adjustment is how far you "sink" the transmission into the bottom 7mm tube. Push it in a little, then test with the refill in the pen until the nib comes out just as far as you like and the nib goes back in (retracts) fully within the pen---you are "fine tuned"!!

hornet406

Might be the fastest just to call PSI. Did you check here?

Well DUH!!! Thank you for pointing that out. I printed this chart out some time ago and completely forgot I had it.

Here are the numbers:Upper and Lower length should both be 2.06"

Kit 1 lower is 2.140 and upper is 2.149.

Kit 2 lower is 2.012 and upper is 2.022.

So basically neither kit is correct. So can I get lucky enough that they will still work if I adjust the transmission depth as suggested by Ed?

hornet406

Are the pen kits you have PSI PKPARK-G kits?
If so, the instructions show that both of the tubes should be 2" long http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKPARK-G_ins.pdf

Thank you Mark. I was referencing the instructions which the store where I purchased my kits had provided me. I list no such information. I also see it has a copyright of 1995. A tad outdated i think.

I appreciate the updated info. My kit however is marked PSI-PKPARK-GM
so I don't know if there is a difference. I don't see any.

MarkD

Might be the fastest just to call PSI. Did you check here?

Well DUH!!! Thank you for pointing that out. I printed this chart out some time ago and completely forgot I had it.

Here are the numbers:Upper and Lower length should both be 2.06"

Kit 1 lower is 2.140 and upper is 2.149.

Kit 2 lower is 2.012 and upper is 2.022.

So basically neither kit is correct. So can I get lucky enough that they will still work if I adjust the transmission depth as suggested by Ed?

If it's the type of kit where the transmission gets pressed into the tube you should be able to do as Ed recommended.

hornet406

No Mark and Ed I don't think that will work. I has a center coupler that is pressed in and the transmission screws to it. Cannot adjust the depth.

But I think the kit 2 numbers are close enough to work. Guess I will attempt to trimm down kit 1 hopefully without chipping the CA finish.

Russianwolf

Are the pen kits you have PSI PKPARK-G kits?
If so, the instructions show that both of the tubes should be 2" long http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKPARK-G_ins.pdf

Thank you Mark. I was referencing the instructions which the store where I purchased my kits had provided me. I list no such information. I also see it has a copyright of 1995. A tad outdated i think.

I appreciate the updated info. My kit however is marked PSI-PKPARK-GM
so I don't know if there is a difference. I don't see any.

G indicates Gold and GM indicates GunMetal.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
But I have never heard of a 7mm with a transmission, held in by a coupler!?!?!?!?! That sounds like a "parker" mechanism, which I've never seen on a 7mm.

Got me stumped!!

Edit in: On second reading---Penn State "PARK" means parker mech, usually. ARE YOU SURE this is a 7mm kit???????
MORE edit in: YOU never SAID it was 7mm--I did!!!
YOU said it was classic and I interpreted!!!!!

SORRY!!!!~

Ignore all previous comments, they don't apply to the parker styles!!

Last edited:

toddlajoie

If you end up being a little short on your barrels ( i.e. then pen won't retract quite all the way in) you can use a dril bit that fits up the transmission ( where the top of the refill goes) and removed bit of the plastic plunger to give yo a bit more retraction. Can't say for sure how much is safe to remove, but I have taken off about 1/8 of an inch or so in the past with no problems...

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you have calipers you slide the nose cone on to where the refill tip sticks out as far as you want. You put the tranny on the coupler and turn it so the refill would be extended. You slide it on the refill and measure between the bottom of the coupler and the top of the nose cone and thats the length you need to make it work.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I just happen to have 2 of the psi classic pkpark-gm kits the tubes in both kits measure 2.030 2.033, 2.038 and 2.034 since the last number is thousandths of an inch for all practical uses they are close enough. The instructions in the package show 2 inches for the tube length.

Last edited:
Top Bottom