Salvaged wood from golf clubs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

The idea: salvage wood from used #1 drivers for blanks. Mind you I not a golfer but knew some premium Osage orange, maple, etc goes into these. Also knew they are cheap at yard sales, goodwill, etc.

The result: just not worth it. The metal inside is soft, aluminum, brass and lead but the head is full of holes and voids that affect design and balance. Also, unpredictable amounts of epoxy and rubber. With a graphite shaft you could get 3 pieces including the shaft insert as the graphite shaft could be bored for a tube, but the other two pieces could be pretty short.

Metal shaft, one decent sized and one shorter piece. Some "wood headed" clubs are at least 50% epoxy and rubber surrounding the wood, making them useless.

In the end, the effort to salvage the iron hard woods exceeds the value of just buying blanks of the same wood. Any cuts to make the blank look like it came out of a club head have to much random metal to make it safe to turn.

I'll post on any other salvage ideas/efforts good bad or otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jcreasey

Try skateboards. They work really well and you can give the pen back to the original board owner as a memento of their favourite board!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 26253741342_cd877e400d_z.jpg
    26253741342_cd877e400d_z.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 328
Top Bottom