Salvageable PR blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

I had a nice blank I was planning for my first majestic kit. Cut & glued it up a few weeks ago, then life got hectic** and I just today got back to the blank. Turned it down, and noticed some tiny air bubbles, filled with thin CA, the proceeded to final turn, MM & polish. That's when I noticed more bubbles...

B_23 (Large).jpg B_25 (Large).jpg B_29 (Large).jpg B_32 (Large).jpg B_33 (Large).jpg

So, is there any way to salvage the blank, or should I just scrape it off the tubes and try another?

<sigh>
Thanks

**(spent two solid weeks helping a very disorganized friend clean up his condo (we filled an entire dumpster!), so he could bring his wife back from the hospital, and she would be able to navigate the halls with a walker, but now she's in hospice and not coming back home... :frown: )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Steve,

For a Majestic, I'd want a blank I really was proud of!!

This one is not gonna be that blank.

On a less expensive pen, you MAY try to save it, but for a high-end pen, it's not gonna cut the mustard.

JUST MY OPINION-- YOU are FREE to ignore!!!

Lenny

I had a nice blank I was planning for my first majestic kit. Cut & glued it up a few weeks ago, then life got hectic** and I just today got back to the blank. Turned it down, and noticed some tiny air bubbles, filled with thin CA, the proceeded to final turn, MM & polish. That's when I noticed more bubbles...

View attachment 27671 View attachment 27672 View attachment 27673 View attachment 27674 View attachment 27675

So, is there any way to salvage the blank, or should I just scrape it off the tubes and try another?

<sigh>
Thanks

**(spent two solid weeks helping a very disorganized friend clean up his condo (we filled an entire dumpster!), so he could bring his wife back from the hospital, and she would be able to navigate the halls with a walker, but now she's in hospice and not coming back home... :frown: )

Steve,
Sorry to hear about your friend's wife. Sounds like he's very lucky to have a friend like you though!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Definitely friends like you are more important than pen blanks!

As to the blank, grit your teeth and move on. Unfortunately it likely won't be your last disappointment in pen turning!

pensmyth

Steve,
I keep a plastic bag in my desk drawer. It's full of what I like to call the "what could of been" blanks. Just like fish in the sea there are a ton of awesome blanks waiting to be turned into one of a kind pens. Mourn and move on my friend.

Steve Busey

Thanks everyone. I guess I was extra bummed because I was in such need of "shop therapy". I'll turn the blanks down to the tubes and try again. Meanwhile, I glued up some amboyna burl today for a Jr Statesman.

And my wife just got off the phone with our friend - his wife's had a bad day. More than likely we'll be helping him move out within the next couple months, because he can't afford the condo pmts and fee without her SS check. They did not do a very good job of retirement planning. :^{

Top Bottom