Salvage Old Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shastastan

I have a few old pens lying around that I made for my wife's now deceased mother. I doubt that they were ever used since she was in an Alzheimer's home for 6 years. I made these pens before I knew much about finishing (I'm still learning, too). I have some pen dis-assembly stuff which I've used a few times with success. I'm thinking that I might take these old pens apart and apply a new finish. I would use 600 grit to take the old finish down and then start back up with higher grits. I thought this process might be a good learning experience for me, but I'm wondering if I should just toss these pens and move on. Any comments?
Stan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

I figure old pens, if they work, are worth keeping, if for no other reason than to put them in your desk or pencil cup in the shop so you have a pen handy. I have slowly tried to get rid of all the cheap, crappy pens we seem to have picked up over the years, and replace with a variety of pens that I've turned, and have installed a decent refill into. Heck, maybe just leave the finish as-is, and use the pen if it still works well.

Life is too short to have to write with crappy pens!

triw51

I have the first pen I turned (in a small parts drawer. I broke it trying to press parts togeather) and it is fun to see how far I have come. I also have some of the ones I have kept as I progressed in skill both in turning and finishing.

KenV

I have a cigar pen that has been a daily carry for years -- about 3 rebuilds and lord knows how many refills. It is due for one more and there is a chip in the oak burl by the nib to rebuild.

It is well worth rebuilding a pen --- and well worth passing it on to another family member or close friend as a memento -- the right kind of repurposing of a gift to a memory generator.

Woodnick43

Rebuild

Ken has a great,thoughtful idea about the future of the pens.
You could ask her family and friends if they would like a pen to remember their friend. You may find they would like their pen "as is". Nice thought Ken.

Cavediver

Rebuild 'em. If nothing else it'll give you a little more experience with disassembly, and you may learn a trick or two to help salvage a (current) project-gone-wrong.

shastastan

Rebuild 'em. If nothing else it'll give you a little more experience with disassembly, and you may learn a trick or two to help salvage a (current) project-gone-wrong.

Thanks. I was thinking similarly.

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. Sadly mom passed age 92 and she had already out-lived all of her friends a and even her son and daugher-in-law. I think that her grand children and great grand children might like to have one though.

Top Bottom