Sage advise wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhahnfl

I'm new to pen making but have learned a lot just reading these threads. I see that a few woods are very difficult to work and even if you do everything correctly that they may crack/split later. Has anyone ever compiled a list of what works and doesn't work so well? I think I may start a notebook or journal of this.

I know one bit of advise came too late...run while you can!!! :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ebony, pink ivory, snakewood.

That's MY short list for cracking.

Difficult to work is a MUCH longer list and gets shorter as you become more experienced. Start with ANY cross-grain. More ideas will come from others.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Starting a list? I'd suggest that you don't start with other people's experience. Each of us has a slighly different way of turning or finishing or whatever. That will impact the results. Be aware of what you are working with if you happen to run across good advice, but learn from experience rather than what you read. Me? I'm 18 for 18 with snakewood. Nary a crack. Knock on (snake)wood!

Dario

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Starting a list? I'd suggest that you don't start with other people's experience. Each of us has a slighly different way of turning or finishing or whatever. That will impact the results. Be aware of what you are working with if you happen to run across good advice, but learn from experience rather than what you read. Me? I'm 18 for 18 with snakewood. Nary a crack. Knock on (snake)wood!

Lou,

I am 2 for 2 on snakewood...both cracked while drilling [B)]...so up to now I have no snakewood pen to boast for yet [:eek:)]. Maybe it is because the blanks I used have cracks to begin with and they are much thinner than my usual blanks.

I do agree with your advise but having a list of wood that have a track record for being more difficult than others do help.

GaryMGg

Can't speak for anyone else's experience; the wood that's given me the most fits to date:
grainless fatlighter antique heart pine.
Cool as sin when one is successful but there's no grain to hold it together.

Gary

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you take 8 months to fa___ around with the pen, like my friend Lou, you DESERVE good results.

But don't PLAN on them.

Tanner

I know you said woods, however if you ever want to try your hand at Buffalo Horn, I have heard that this is another material that cracks quite often.

fiferb

I agree with Lou about learning from experience but I also think it is a good idea to have a list of notoriously cracking woods. Had I known the propensity of Gabon Ebony to cracking I would not have used it for a friends wedding gifts to the groomsmen.

Rifleman1776

Pink ivory, snakewood, ebony, cross-cut and palm are on my 'never again' list. My philosophy is "why screw around with something that has a 90% chance of failing?".
Hard to turn? Very subjective and will change with experience. I roughly class woods as 'hard and difficult to turn' and 'hard but a pleasure to turn'. Example: I like turning Osage Orange even though it is quite hard. Others do not like turning it all.

rhahnfl

I really do appreciate the honest, candid responses. I read these threads and soak it up like a sponge. There are so many years of experience here and you all are so willing to share. I really hope at some point, to make it out to one of the big events. Thank you again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom