Safety issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

What if any are the safety issue on a PSI collect chuck verses the Beall collect chuck? Please just the safety issue. :confused: What is the difference between the "easily hand tighten to secure the collects verses the two bars?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

Am I wrong in the assumption that the direction that the lathe spins ensures that there is no safety hazard? Caqn't it only get tighter?

Robert Taylor

i don't think there is a safety issue. the psi chuck is knurled so you can get a decent grip without using the bars. the beall is not. however if i understand correctly the psi chuck also is drilled for tommy bars. the collets are the same er32.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Yes, the PSI is drilled for Tommy bars. Most of the time I don't need them but once in a while something needs that extra bit. I have had no safety problems.

jthompson1995

Most of the time you don't need the spanner wrenches with the Beall chuck either. I think the knurlung on the PSI chuck would take off a lot more skin, should any come in contact while spinning at high speed, than the smooth surfaces of the Beall.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Perhaps because mine was the first one Beall made for the Carbatec lathe, my Beall collet chuck NEEDS the spanner to tighten it.

As Dale notes, the PSI is drilled for Tommy bars and the kit includes a set of them. For ease of use, I prefer the PSI kit.

pipecrafter

There are no safety issues. The only difference is in the knurling versus not. My Beall is not knurled, and I don't need it 99% of the time. I only ever need it if I need to crank down on significantly undersized stock.

Plus, the Beall came in 1-1/2"-8tpi which fits my south bend, the PSI does not.

johnnycnc

What if any are the safety issue on a PSI collect chuck verses the Beall collect chuck? Please just the safety issue. :confused: What is the difference between the "easily hand tighten to secure the collects verses the two bars?

The only "safety issue" I have had with my Beall (I say this tongue-in-cheek)
is the rare,yet somehow unavoidable busting of knuckles on lathe bed when breaking the nut loose.
Ya learn pretty quick from pain,however! :rolleyes:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Am I wrong in the assumption that the direction that the lathe spins ensures that there is no safety hazard? Caqn't it only get tighter?

If that's the case, then DON'T TURN IT OFF! :tongue:

Kidding.. your post just reminded me of my Nova chuck spinning itself off
of the headstock one time when I turned off the lathe. Taught me not to
put anything too heavy on it.

Randy_

I don't think there are any major safety differences between the two chucks. I agree that for a seriously careless turner, one might lose a little more skin to the knurling on the PSI chuck; but I suspect that would be an extremely rare event.​

As to the wrench thing, I have a pretty strong grip and can get the Beall chuck and the collets quite secure by hand tightening.......so snug, in fact, that a wrench is required most of the time to get them loose.

Top Bottom