Safety glasses vs. Face shield question - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Ear plugs, full face mask and dust mask when working on the lathe. I only turn pens now but the grandson is looking to expand out horizons. Other power equipment, I use the dust mask and ear plugs as all my tools have the Shop Vac running.
Keep in mind that the full face mask covers the throat, too. I heard of one turner who wears an umpire's chest pad while turning. Probably from past experience?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I was making a small dish at the club one evening. Had on the face shield and everything was great. One more pass before getting the sand paper. POP....out of the chuck flew the wooden dish and right into the shield.

That dish now hangs on the wall of the club wired back together from the three main pieces we could find. There were some small pieces we didn't find that night. It is a reminder to all the members to ware protection.

You can never be to careful as far as I am concerned.

"Don't go riding on that long black train."
stonepecker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

I spent 30 years in the safety business and my answer was "it depends on the hazard" and that's a lot like what I've heard here in some places.

OSHA does not apply in your private shop! However; here is what they say:

Safety spectacles are intended to shield the wearer's eyes from impact hazards such as flying fragments, objects, large chips, and particles. Workers are required to use eye safety spectacles with side shields when there is a hazard from flying objects.

Face shields are intended to protect the entire face or portions of it from impact hazards such as flying fragments, objects, large chips, and particles. When worn alone, face shields do not protect employees from impact hazards. Use face shields in combination with safety spectacles or goggles,
Source: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/eye...tml#spectacles

You notice neither protect against flying chunks like when a bowl breaks apart or slips out of the chuck. If you're turning something large like that, you need to have the guard installed and in use. I just had a good friend who broke every bone in his face because his guard was protecting a shelf in his shop.

Lynne Yamaguchi was seriously injured a few years ago and she uses a police riot helmet along with the lathe guard when she turns bowls now.

I wear prescription glasses and every time I get a new prescription, I get a pair of prescription safety glasses. That's just my choice tho. I like to see what I'm doing and be safe.

When I turn pens, I wear only safety glasses. When I turn other items like small boxes or such I usually throw on the face shield over my glasses. When I turn bowls, the guard comes down and I wear both.
MTViper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2017, 06:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Neither one necessarily offers ANSI Z87 2010 impact resistance. Look for "Z87+" on the faceshield and the lenses.
donstephan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donstephan View Post
Neither one necessarily offers ANSI Z87 2010 impact resistance. Look for "Z87+" on the faceshield and the lenses.
Very true, Don, but even Z87+ is not protection from an impact of a bowl blank coming at you. Airshield has started posting a warning on their site about their face shield not being a helmet and not offering that level of impact protection.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprat View Post
I take safety very seriously.......most times I just have my mankini on, but when I use CA or other chemicals like coffee, then I wear the correct attire...

Attached is pic wearing the full Monty......safety boots, Hi viz overalls, Kevlar knee pads,Hi viz 40Kcal arc flash jacket, 11kV rubber gloves over leather gauntlets, breathing mask with hi rate filter and face visor, ear defenders over ear plugs and an IAP cap to stop sunburn on my bald spot....

Pic courtesy of my wife........she wouldn't take one with the mankini....

Oh....the bucket is where I keep my sandwiches....

Edit in; If you look carefully you will see I'm wearing my vari-focal safety glasses under the visor too......
Shouldn't there be a helmet there some where?

Tomas
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-02-2017, 03:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 61

When I make pens, I have on safety glasses and I have a shop made lexan cover and dust collection. The cover keeps anything that flies apart contained.

View in gallery

I picked up this idea from Mesquiteman.

Anything larger and the face shield goes on. I have a dust collector hose that attaches to the ways when turning larger items.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Can't imagine anyone would think for a moment that eyeglasses or even a faceshield would provide protection against a bowl blank. For that, manufacturers make heavy duty faceplates and lathes offer curved cages.

I was simply addressing the possibility that some turners may not be familiar with the impact rating.
donstephan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Can't imagine anyone would think for a moment that eyeglasses or even a faceshield would provide protection against a bowl blank. For that, manufacturers make heavy duty faceplates and lathes offer curved cages.

I was simply addressing the possibility that some turners may not be familiar with the impact rating.
Iím not familiar....and itís easy to take safety equipment and devices for granted. Thanks for Posting

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-04-2017, 09:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

Don, It is surprising how many people do think a faceshield provides enough impact protection to protect them from a shattered bowl blank. When I address this, I always get arguments about it from those who haven't studied the testing, capabilities, and certification of safety equipment. I realize you weren't implying that, but I wanted to clarify it for those who had questions.

The metal guard on your lathe is your best second line of protection from a flying bowl blank. Staying out of the plane of rotation, especially at start up and stopping, is probably your best first line of protection. PPE is good for what it's designed for but it won't protect us from everything.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads