Safety glasses vs. Face shield question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SCjim

I wear reading glasses, face shield, and respirator when turning. I have a pair of high quality wrap around safety glasses (not gogles) with the reading magnifier (bifocal).

So, here is the question: is it safe to wear these glasses and not the full-face shield when turning only pens. I understand the face shield is the better but I hate the shield.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

That is what I wear when turning pens and finishing, but not when turning bowls or hollow forms. Wear my face shield for those items.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Jim,

I'm with you. I am all for safety, but the old adage that one must always do this or that or the other because that is what people do on lathes - that does not apply to pen size turnings. In 13 years of turning pens, I have had a few explode, but the pieces did not have the mass of bowls.

I DO use a flip down face mask because I wear glasses and over-goggles cause my glasses lenses to fog up. The fact you have adequate protection is enough with pens, IMO. I also use a half face respirator.

I appreciate the fact that your mind and attitude is of safety. It is better to err on the side of safety. And at the same time common sense should reign.

Last edited:

RKB

I wear a ball cap and glasses only when turning pens. I use a mandrel until round then switch to between centers. When turning larger items, up to 3" to 6" dia, I will put on my face shield because it really hurts when "things" come off the chuck and hit you in the face. DAMHIK If I turned larger items I would wear head protection too, maybe something like a chainsaw face shield w/helmet. My biggest concern is loose clothing, tool control, and most important for me is staying alert, my mind will wonder sometimes. I added a paddle switch to the bench front that I can hit with my body in case something crazy happens. Have fun with your projects and be safe.

Rod

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I take safety very seriously.......most times I just have my mankini on, but when I use CA or other chemicals like coffee, then I wear the correct attire...

Attached is pic wearing the full Monty......safety boots, Hi viz overalls, Kevlar knee pads,Hi viz 40Kcal arc flash jacket, 11kV rubber gloves over leather gauntlets, breathing mask with hi rate filter and face visor, ear defenders over ear plugs and an IAP cap to stop sunburn on my bald spot....

Pic courtesy of my wife........she wouldn't take one with the mankini....:wink:

Oh....the bucket is where I keep my sandwiches....:biggrin:

Edit in; If you look carefully you will see I'm wearing my vari-focal safety glasses under the visor too......

Attachments

• PPE.jpg
    PPE.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

WriteON

Do not tamper with safety. No short cuts. No substitute for fully protecting yourself each and every time. A small penblank can cause big damage. It's a projectile. Also how about if a lathe part goes south. 3000rpm's of anything flying is dangerous. I wear a Trend Airpro... I hate it but I'm ugly enough ..no need to rearrange my face.
I think you can answer your own question. What do the lathe instructions recommend.

Last edited:

JimB

I wear safety glasses and my faceshield regardless of how big or small an item is that I am turning. Even a small item such as a pen blank can cause damage. Plus there is the added issue of bushings and mandrels if you use them. If you drill on the lathe then there is the drill chuck and and drill bit. If something goes wrong you will not be able to react fast enough. If you are not in the habit of always wearing it you will forget to wear it when you really need to.

When I started turning I only turned pens and only wore safety glasses. When I started turning larger items i always used a faceshield. Now, if I am not wearing my faceshield I feel naked.

Dehn0045

....safety boots, Hi viz overalls, Kevlar knee pads,Hi viz 40Kcal arc flash jacket, 11kV rubber gloves over leather gauntlets, breathing mask with hi rate filter and face visor, ear defenders over ear plugs and an IAP cap to stop sunburn on my bald spot....

Quite the get-up you have there, I think in my case "Low Vis" overalls would be safer -- my greatest hazard is my wife throwing things at me when I'm making pens but I should be doing something else :biggrin:

Woodchipper

Ear plugs, full face mask and dust mask when working on the lathe. I only turn pens now but the grandson is looking to expand out horizons. Other power equipment, I use the dust mask and ear plugs as all my tools have the Shop Vac running.
Keep in mind that the full face mask covers the throat, too. I heard of one turner who wears an umpire's chest pad while turning. Probably from past experience?

stonepecker

I was making a small dish at the club one evening. Had on the face shield and everything was great. One more pass before getting the sand paper. POP....out of the chuck flew the wooden dish and right into the shield.

That dish now hangs on the wall of the club wired back together from the three main pieces we could find. There were some small pieces we didn't find that night. It is a reminder to all the members to ware protection.

You can never be to careful as far as I am concerned.

MTViper

I spent 30 years in the safety business and my answer was "it depends on the hazard" and that's a lot like what I've heard here in some places.

OSHA does not apply in your private shop! However; here is what they say:

Safety spectacles are intended to shield the wearer's eyes from impact hazards such as flying fragments, objects, large chips, and particles. Workers are required to use eye safety spectacles with side shields when there is a hazard from flying objects.

Face shields are intended to protect the entire face or portions of it from impact hazards such as flying fragments, objects, large chips, and particles. When worn alone, face shields do not protect employees from impact hazards. Use face shields in combination with safety spectacles or goggles,
Source: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/eyeandface/ppe/impact.html#spectacles

You notice neither protect against flying chunks like when a bowl breaks apart or slips out of the chuck. If you're turning something large like that, you need to have the guard installed and in use. I just had a good friend who broke every bone in his face because his guard was protecting a shelf in his shop.

Lynne Yamaguchi was seriously injured a few years ago and she uses a police riot helmet along with the lathe guard when she turns bowls now.

I wear prescription glasses and every time I get a new prescription, I get a pair of prescription safety glasses. That's just my choice tho. I like to see what I'm doing and be safe.

When I turn pens, I wear only safety glasses. When I turn other items like small boxes or such I usually throw on the face shield over my glasses. When I turn bowls, the guard comes down and I wear both.

MTViper

Neither one necessarily offers ANSI Z87 2010 impact resistance. Look for "Z87+" on the faceshield and the lenses.

Very true, Don, but even Z87+ is not protection from an impact of a bowl blank coming at you. Airshield has started posting a warning on their site about their face shield not being a helmet and not offering that level of impact protection.

tomas

I take safety very seriously.......most times I just have my mankini on, but when I use CA or other chemicals like coffee, then I wear the correct attire...

Attached is pic wearing the full Monty......safety boots, Hi viz overalls, Kevlar knee pads,Hi viz 40Kcal arc flash jacket, 11kV rubber gloves over leather gauntlets, breathing mask with hi rate filter and face visor, ear defenders over ear plugs and an IAP cap to stop sunburn on my bald spot....

Pic courtesy of my wife........she wouldn't take one with the mankini....:wink:

Oh....the bucket is where I keep my sandwiches....:biggrin:

Edit in; If you look carefully you will see I'm wearing my vari-focal safety glasses under the visor too......

Shouldn't there be a helmet there some where?

Tomas

randyrls

When I make pens, I have on safety glasses and I have a shop made lexan cover and dust collection. The cover keeps anything that flies apart contained.

View in Gallery

I picked up this idea from Mesquiteman.

Anything larger and the face shield goes on. I have a dust collector hose that attaches to the ways when turning larger items.

donstephan

Can't imagine anyone would think for a moment that eyeglasses or even a faceshield would provide protection against a bowl blank. For that, manufacturers make heavy duty faceplates and lathes offer curved cages.

I was simply addressing the possibility that some turners may not be familiar with the impact rating.

WriteON

Can't imagine anyone would think for a moment that eyeglasses or even a faceshield would provide protection against a bowl blank. For that, manufacturers make heavy duty faceplates and lathes offer curved cages.

I was simply addressing the possibility that some turners may not be familiar with the impact rating.

I'm not familiar....and it's easy to take safety equipment and devices for granted. Thanks for Posting

MTViper

Don, It is surprising how many people do think a faceshield provides enough impact protection to protect them from a shattered bowl blank. When I address this, I always get arguments about it from those who haven't studied the testing, capabilities, and certification of safety equipment. I realize you weren't implying that, but I wanted to clarify it for those who had questions.

The metal guard on your lathe is your best second line of protection from a flying bowl blank. Staying out of the plane of rotation, especially at start up and stopping, is probably your best first line of protection. PPE is good for what it's designed for but it won't protect us from everything.

Top Bottom