Safely selling pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YoYoSpin

Number one on my list is to have a contract with the store covering things like who's responsible for theft...100% of the stores I consign to pick up the tab if my stuff is pinched.

Here's a link to a generic consignment contract that I've used for years: http://yoyospin.com/Contract.doc.

I'm not a lawyer, and I’m not giving any legal advice here, but having a good contract in place, like having a good fence between neighbors, will go a long way in avoiding disputes.

Rifleman1776

That's the problem with consignments. You have no protection. A store owner won't sign a contract that makes them responsible for stolen merchandis. The hard fact of life is that it is your loss. The only protection is to not do consignments. If your product is good enough to be bought by customers, the store should buy them from you. Of course, you must price to where everyone can make a profit.

hrigg

I have three pens and gift boxes in a display case in a store that's a test market for me. If they're stolen or otherwise lost, I won't be out much in terms of money, I'll just consider it the cost of trying to do business there, and move on.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by hrigg
<br />I have three pens and gift boxes in a display case in a store that's a test market for me. If they're stolen or otherwise lost, I won't be out much in terms of money, I'll just consider it the cost of trying to do business there, and move on.

Harry, when I was young, a businessman I worked for explained to me that making a profit in business was like trying to hold water in a colander with your fingers. Every tiny leak is a loss. Maybe because it is because I don't have much, but I can't take such a cavalier attitude with my money and goods. Do keep receipts and use losses as a tax deduction.

hrigg

That didn't come out quite like I intended. I have little or no income I can afford to waste, but I consider those pens as start-up costs similar to the lathe and the accessories. I also have no experience selling my pens, and I'm having a difficult time with the price the store has placed on them--perhaps I'm unwilling to accept that someone would actually pay that much for something I made. When it's been proven to me that the pen-buying public is in general agreement with the store owners, then my attitude will undoubtedly change to something that doesn't seem quite so cavalier.

I appreciate your advice, and I hope I get more of it. Thank you.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Harry,

This whole thing is one big variable! I am by nature an introvert but due to being in sales/business in my 20's and ministry since my mid-30s, I learned people skills along the lines of "the customer is (usually) right", or at least deserves to be heard.

Having said that, in training others in sales and in ministry, I have learned that some people have a hard time interacting with others naturally, especially when a trust-request is being made. And at this point I will say (and my friends and co-workers say) that I that I usually put people in a relaxed mode when around them personally, and as a result can get more results from them than most other managers. There are many factors involved in this:
1. believe in your product.
2. smile and relax.
3. look for common ground in the conversation.
4. believe in yourself.
5. be willing to accept rejection without feeling attacked personally.
6. explain what you expect from them.
7. ask them what they expect from you.
8. don't make them feel belittled if they disagree with you or can't do what you are asking. (This is for "pushy" sales type of people to heed.)

Often, the best way in - is to go to the owner / manager and ask them to consider placing some pens in the store. Don't take a display, but take two or three pens and let them have one, their choice. ( the results will be one of three scenarios)
1. If they really want your pens they will ask, and at this point you explain that you have a simple a contract (similar to Ed's). They may want to look it over for a couple of days. That is OK and their right.
2. If they don't comment about the pens but do allow you to put a display in, it will be a good bet that you will not have good results there, at least in terms of a business partnership.
3. No, but they keep the free pen.

One place that I occasionally see small items for sale is in barber shops and beauty shops. This is very localized and if the pens are good, WORD WILL SPREAD!

That brings us to the bottom line: . . . can you sell a "pen consignment contract" as Ed does, or can you only sell "a no restrictions (usually verbal) consignment," which is your loss when the pen is stolen? Good Pens will sell themselves, but consignment contracts are "sold" (or not) by the maker. Don't feel bad if you can't at first. It takes experience for most people who are not gifted at gab! [;)] [:D]

4reel

Lots of information, Thank you for the contract I will see if that is will work. I have never set myself up as a business and only wanted barter for what I sell. They did give us a bowl of flowers for the two pens lost. So that was nice. If I set up a business it would be contract only. Right now I only have time for a few pens and cannot do much more.
My pens are pricy, I only buy the best pens and only do figured or burl blanks with a Lacquer finish. They are lifelong pens. I also replace the original ink with a better refill, that would be one that actually works all the time. I have found that original pen cartridges are poor at best. So the pen pricing. I could sell cigar pen for about $40.00 to $49.00. I would have $7.00 in the hardware, $3.00 to $5.00 in the wood, cost of other materials about $1 to $2 dollars. I will have at least two hours on the penn if all the time is put together and from $3 tp $6 for a case. so that grand totals to a max of $2 in materials and lets put $10 in for labor which means I get $5 dollars an hour. If you put tax cost and licensing on all that you lose another $1.5 in wisconsin. So for the guy who was concerned about cost. Try and buy anything that has that level of quality in it for and the artist (yes artist) gets about $8.50 for his/her work.

hrigg

Thank you for your input, Hank.

The pens are in a store on the California Coast about 1200 miles from me. My original intent was to give the owners each one, and have them display the other to see if there was any interest. They thought that wasn't fair to me--given what they saw in the pens--and put all three out for sale, locked in a glass case. Theft will probably not be a concern, and so far I'm comfortable with the relationship. If things progress beyond the point where they are now, I'll work on something more binding than a favor from a friend of the family, since they will be making a profit, too.

redfishsc

So far the safest way for me to sell pens is to make a nice box (or buy one) to carry them around in and sell them to family, friends, coworkers, etc...

The best way I have found to sell pens is to leave the box open in the breakroom for coworkers to drool over. They look at it a few times, pick it up and feel it, lay it down... look at it later..... and buy it.

Now, some of you may think I am insane leaving $600 worth of pens unguarded like that. All I can say is that this is one of the benefits of working on the campus of a conservative Christian seminary campus. I can trust my brothers and sisters! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom