?'s about clicl pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I recently set about making 6 Sierra click kits, and I have had a lot of trouble with the 'click' function working properly--on two of them the push button sits very low and has limited travel--on two of the other ones the 'click' doesn't stay engaged and the refill retracts as soon as it gets to fully extended. The other two work fine, but they--as well as the other four, don't have any sort of audible click. I don't really mind this last factor, but I am simply looking for input/advice on these mechanisms in general.

I would like to figure out if these 'click' mechanisms can be tweaked simply in some way, or is it simply a matter of contacting the vendor and getting new mechs.?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I have made about 100 Sierra click pens and not had any problems whatsoever.

The mechanism of these pens was changed about 2 years ago. The new design has a very "soft" click but I have had no problems with them.

The old design required a half-inch (approx) spacer to be placed on the top end of the refill. The spacer was supplied. I assume you bought your kits recently, so this comment is irrelevant except for completeness.

I hope you get some other replies to your question from users of this kit. I don't think you can tweak the mechanism.

Fish30114

Mal, thanks for the feedback, I've often said, if it's unusual it is gonna happen to me! The one pen went together fine, I've got some hollow steel spacers I use to press pens where you need contact to be on the outer edges of the assembly, so I didn't press on the clicker button, but it still doesn't engage at all....I'll be anxious for other feedback, and I'll contact the vendor tomorrow as well.

Thanks--Don

79spitfire

I've had trouble with the Sierra 'click' pens. Users that are hard on click mechanisms, nervous clickers or people who shove the clicker hard onto the desktop will have trouble. I also had one who insisted on "twirling and flicking" the pen and dropped it on the button and busted it off (about the third drop). In all cases it's abuse, but a $1 Bic survives such abuse, therefore becomes the standard...

:mad:

I've experimented with replacing the click with the Schmidt plastic mechanism Richard Greewald sells, but I haven't had one sell yet so I have no idea how it holds up to abuse.

I tried carrying both styles several days in a row and had no problems (stock and modified).

I also don't abuse pens... :hypnotized:

Fish30114

Hey Chris, I don't think Ed will mind, so I will tell you I got these from Exotic Blanks, Ed is such a good guy and has already agreed to send me a new 'top' for this/these pen(s). I think but I'm not 100% sure that Ed's kits are in fact Berea kits. I typically order from Ed @ Exotic Blanks, Ernie @ Beartooth Woods or Smitty--I have had good results from the kits from all 3 typically.

Regards all--Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom