Russian Olive Burl Substitutes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Since no one seems to have any ROB they can part with, I need to find some substitutes to offer a client.

I was thinking Teak Burl or Briar Burl if I can get them. He's wanting that classic burl look (think Rolls Royce interior).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Rolls Royce panels were started with Amboyna.

There are other Olivewood burls out there btw...but different flavor/origin.

Check Nolan, any of the Aussie burls would be good too.

Russianwolf

Just a Clarification

I'm looking for substitutes for Russian-Olive Burl, Russina-Olive is not a true olive. It has a fruit that had an appearance similar to an olive, thus the name. The Wood looks nothing like Olive-wood.

Attachments

• Russian-Olive Burl.jpg
    Russian-Olive Burl.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,168

sbell111

Just a Clarification

I'm looking for substitutes for Russian-Olive Burl, Russina-Olive is not a true olive. It has a fruit that had an appearance similar to an olive, thus the name. The Wood looks nothing like Olive-wood.

Well, it does look a little like olivewood burl.
0108_wood_blanks_bethlehem_olive_burl.jpg

<Image snagged from woodpenpro.com>

marcruby

Interesting question. Take a look at thuya burl, tasmanian myrtle, some amboyna, and eucalyptus (which has a very similar pattern). All of these vary in color and intensity and might work out. And then there's good old maple burl. Some of the Aussie burls are quite beautiful as well.

I have to admit that russian olive burl is pretty nice.

Marc

GouletPens

Ambonya burl or afzelia burl if you're going for a darker color with a reddish tone. If you want more of a tan like the olive burl, then look at either madrone burl or York Gum burl (attached).

Attachments

• PICT0229.jpg
    PICT0229.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 413

Chris Bar

Steve...I know its an old thread but....just had to....Just like the ads on tv now....selling your "old worn out and broken gold" :biggrin:

Gee...thanks a lot!!!! Thought I had drooled enough already having seen pics of all the great burls. Looking for Russian Olive burl now :redface:....reminds me of the huge Russian olive at corner of father's old stone house...wish I had known! D_ _ _!

So many beautiful wandering wood fibers, so little bucks...

Russianwolf

hey Chris, I don't know when we'll be seeing any more of the high figured Russian-Olive Burl, but I did find Teak Burl which is a fair substitute although a bit more expensive.

Attachments

• Teak Burl.jpg
    Teak Burl.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 286

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Dude, I did not see the request until now, you still need ROB blanks, I have a burl slab I can cut you a few from if ya do. PM me if you still need .

Top Bottom