Russ line with comfort grip bushing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_1853

After seeing all the "Russ lines" being posted, I went and reread the tutorial. Any thoughts on using a comfort grip bushing instead of the father sing or whatever. MY reasoning is that I have comfort grip bushings. :)

I will experiment tonight and see if it gives a pretty good look.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Patrick, I don't have father sing bushings either. I used the smallest of my cigar bushings. The size looked acceptable to me and I went for it. Maybe since I didn't use the bushings called for I shouldn't be calling them Russlines, but Billylines just sounds too goofy! [}:)] Besides, I'm not about to take credit for someone else's idea. I just did a little spring boarding.

jdodom

The major difference in the kits, slim line, comfort grip and father sing is the center band (both the end cap and tip are .333'). As long as you make your own center band you can use any kits bushings to make the center any size you want.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The idea is to make the cap portion of the pen larger than the lower barrel. Any bushing that is larger than the 7mm SlimLine will do that. The only reason I used the Father Sing was because I had it, it fit the 7mm mandrel, and it looked good. You can also use the standard 7mm bushings and just turn the cap to a larger diameter. That's what I do.

its_virgil

Here is what I've done...WC sells a mandrel with a set of bushnings in pkg. The bushing set is labeled "euro" bushings. I use the center bushing for making the russ lines...er don-lines, kevin-lines, and now bill lines. The bushinhg works real great for this pen. It has a nice size to it. One end is larger than the other. Or just pick out two bushings and use them, or just "eyeball" it.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by patrick_1853
<br />After seeing all the "Russ lines" being posted, I went and reread the tutorial. Any thoughts on using a comfort grip bushing instead of the father sing or whatever. MY reasoning is that I have comfort grip bushings. :)

I will experiment tonight and see if it gives a pretty good look.

its_virgil

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.htm

You may want to look over Russ' site. Lots of very useful information. Thanks Russ for sharing ans making it available.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by rtparso
<br />
After seeing all the "Russ lines" being posted, I went and reread the tutorial.
Were is the tutorial? Please.

Fred in NC

I make the Russ line (thanks Russ !!) but use only the regular slimline bushings.

I have an old manual caliper (no dial or lcd) that I set for the diameter I want, 7/16" most of the time. I turn the bottom barrel by the bushings, as well as the finial or cap end. For the wider part I eyeball it, and/or use the caliper. One such pen, BOW and ebony is in my album.

patrick_1853

Well, I made two tonight with acrylics. I havemixedemotions about how they came out. I will post pics tommorrow.

patrick_1853

Ok, I added the pics to my photo gallery. The yellow and black one didn't work too well, but it looks pretty good with the centerband in place. The blue one I am fairly pleased with and it looks good (I think) with or without the centerband.

Patrick

alamocdc

Patrick, where did you come up with the oversized CBs? This is just an observation, but I think one reason you may have mixed emotions about them is because of the bulge of the barrels. Particularly the lower (nib end) barrel. This style of pen may not be well suited for the middle bulge, but more of a taper, is what I'm trying to say. You did a great job on them and the finish is fantastic! [:)]

patrick_1853

Those are actually just the comfort grip centerbands. When I finished them, I decided that their needed to be some kind of dividing line at the middle to mark the tranisition (especially the yellow one) and since acrylic just melts when you burn it, I couldn't add detail lines. I tried whiteout, but that was just messy, and I wasn't happy with the two detail lines I had cut anyway. I may try again with wood and see how that goes.

I think you are right about the bulge in the bottom tube. This will definitely get more experimentation.

patrick_1853

Well, I guess I will be making more of these. I just sold the blue one for $25. Making my daily total $80 for three pens. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom