A rush to turn ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shoelessjj

Hey gang! I've been away for a while. Work has had me busy and life's adventures have contributed to me just not having a lot of time on my hands. I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

I have continued with my pen turning and have had the obligatory downs that come with learning but these have been accompanied by the thrill of seeing something come together better than you expected.

Some time ago, I was working on a pen and made a mistake that I wanted to share with everyone. In ways it is funny but it also showed that patience and calmness pays off.

I never got a chance to tell the story but I'll try to recall it now. I was working on a Classic Rollerball kit and I was using Cocobola blank. I had cut a tenon before but I was having to cut a tenon for this kit and so I was working with an inexpensive blank just in case I messed things up.

I cut the blank and drilled it and eventually got around to gluing in the tubes. I think I had some other projects going at the same time. A couple of days passed and then I decided to work on this Classic kit that I hadn't done before.

I decided that I would start with the upper section since I was concerned about the tenon. I figured if I messed it up, why spend the time on the bottom. So I squared up both sides of the top and put it on the lathe. I turned it down the way I wanted it and completed the tenon. It was a touch too long but it wasn't way off. I figured I was ok to move on.

Hastily, I reach over and pick up the bottom and get the bushings and set up the lathe for the bottom. I happily go about my business and get the bottom the way I want it. I start to sanding and work through the first two grades of sandpaper. I then pulled back the tail stock and blow out the dust at the bushings and inspect the ends to make sure I don't have any scratching there that I missed.

I slide up the tail stock and I hear this crack. I clearly heard it but dismissed it. I crank up the lathe and then I notice it. The upper portion of the blank has a horrible wobble. I thought to myself ... "What the heck happened."

I pull off to blank to look at it and I look at the end that cracked and I see the tube in there but it is about 1/4" from the end. I immediately thought that I had the tube slip out on me and so I flip the end expecting to see the brass tube sticking out the other side. I don't see that.

Instead, when I look at the opposite end, I see the brass tube about 1/4" set in from the end. It hit me then ... I forgot to square up the ends. Where there was not tube the wood didn't have any support and as I slipped up on the mandrel the wood just cracked.

I looked at it disgusted with myself for making this mistake. I first thought it was ruined. Then I looked closer. I decided I might be able to save this yet. I first thought I could saw this off with a jig saw. I then decided to put it back on the lathe and used my tenon tool to removed the excess.

I went slowly and methodically. Eventually I got it close. I took the blank off and sanded the ends to make sure I was square and put it back on the lathe and completed the sanding and the finishing.

I wasn't crazy about the pen overall for other reasons but I was pleased that I was able to salvage that pen in that situation. I looked at it calmly and carefully approached taking care of the situation. Now for me to confess this here says a lot. :)

Anyway ... the moral of the story.... I should try a different hobby! :biggrin: Nah ... just kiddin'.

- ShoelessJJ

Top Bottom