Rubberized ca and snakewood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hello, I was thinking about snakewood (its brittleness etc). Has anyone tried rubberized ca glued tubes for snakewood? I was thinking theoretically it would absorb some of the wood movement. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance for posting back...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

If that is your reasoning, I'll suggest using Gorilla glue...it expands/form bubbles and should have more "cushion" effect than rubberized CA. In my experience black CA turns rock solid after it cures also. See my black CA filled pen made of bark at show off your pen section.

Dario

Stabilizing, hardener, etc. most likely won't help snakewood much. It is very hard/dense as it is and actually resist those from what I've read.

Darrick of Chitswood used to sell snakewood which he guaranteed not to crack. I am not sure how well it went but read that they used pentacryl. I know others said it made it difficult to finish but I have no first hand experience.

Rmartin

Best thing to do is let it crack. I haven't actually completed a snakewood pen yet, but I'm close. I drilled two last week and glued in the tubes. Let it sit and crack for a week. CA'd them. Put them on the lathe today; turned round until I heard a crack coming on. Sealed them with CA and set aside. I'll find out tomorrow if I am able to turn them the rest of the way and hopefully I'll be able to add a CA finish.

its_virgil

Glue in the tubes and turn them close to finished size. Let them crack and fill the crack with a CA and sanding dust slurry. The crack will be almost undetectable. I have never had one returned that I've done this way. I am currently repairing two snakewood pens made by another turner that cracked and the owner was told there is nothing that can be done...no way to keep them from cracking and no way to repair the crack. How's that for customer service?

Anthony and I have said for a couple of years now that a cracked and repaired snakewood pen is nicer than most other pens. Instead of worrying about keeping them from cracking, let them crack and repair...

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Rmartin

Best thing to do is let it crack. I haven't actually completed a snakewood pen yet, but I'm close. I drilled two last week and glued in the tubes. Let it sit and crack for a week. CA'd them. Put them on the lathe today; turned round until I heard a crack coming on. Sealed them with CA and set aside. I'll find out tomorrow if I am able to turn them the rest of the way and hopefully I'll be able to add a CA finish.

Top Bottom