RPM for Alternative Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I finally got some of this to try and there was an instruction sheet that recommends turning at 500 rpm or even slower with a scraper. Does anyone have experience turning it at that speed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Do lathes really turn that slowly? I don't think mine goes below 3900. But seriously, i turn all plastics (and woods, for that matter) at Mach 2 with my hair on fire. On the flakey stuff I just take lighter cuts...sometimes MUCH lighter.

mrplace

I agree with DCBluesman, I crank my lathe up to 4000 RPMs to turn plastic. Crazy speed, you would think it was New Years with all the confetti flying.[8D]

I slow my lathe to around 500 to sand with, but thats it. I do use a skew and a gouge though, and not a scraper.

fiferb

I've turned some of this and use the gouge and skew with light cuts at the highest speed I feel safe. I guess I just concur with the fellows above.

Randy_

I always take the manufacturer's recommendation as a starting point(unless there is an obvious mistake). If it doesn't seem to work, then I look for alternatives. Since you have conflicting information, all you can do is try it both ways and see what works best for you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom