Routing a groove for a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

Ok, so I'm making this desk set for a friend. the design will have a flat board on the bottom in which I want to rout a groove for the pen to lay in when not in use. Can someone tell me how they have routed it (handheld or router table) and what bit they used or is there a better way than routing a groove?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Routed on a table, it's easy. Half inch "round nose" bit, but make it in a couple passes, each a little deeper, to eliminate the splintering.

A lot depends on the type of wood (or resin, if it's me) being used.

Curly

Just to add. Rout the grooves in a long board (several feet long) to keep the fingers clear and maintain better control of the work. Marks on the wood and table/fence let you know where to start and stop. Once routed cut them to length.

jttheclockman

I am sorry but I am looking at this from another set of eyes. Don't shoot the messenger here. If you are asking about a simple cut makes me believe you are not versed in the use of a router. The router is one of the most dangerous tools in the wood shop. I highly suggest if you are not confortable in using this tool to get someone that knows what they are doing to do this task for you. It is was stated what bit to use but there is so much more that goes into that setup and steps that need to be taken.

Now please excuse me if I am way off base here and you just did not know what bit to use but again I find it a bit offsetting. I wish you the best of luck and hope you take photos when done.

jttheclockman

I agree, safety first. Since the work is small I would use a router table. You will have to run a test piece and when comfortable with the operations involed, cut your work piece.

People are saying to use a large piece. It may not be possible unless he attaches to another board. You may want the goove in the center of a board and that will require starting and stopping at set points. You have to know how to setup stop blacks. You have to know how to avoid burning because you will get that and depending on the wood can be more pronounced. You better know which way to feed the board or the router depending on if you choose table or handheld with a fence. . You may have to do a climb cut. Like I said it is simple if you know what you are doing but I am a bit curious just because of the nature of the question. A person who has used a router will know router bits at least I hope so.

Be careful man.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

I would not use a router table because of the nature of the cut not going all the way to the ends of the board.

Secure the board well and use stops to set your length.

Use a plunge router - the safest option here IMO. If you use a table you'll have to press the peice down in to the splinting but which us possible but I'd avoid. A couple progressively deeper cuts as was mentioned before. From left to right.

I believe there is a box making tutorial in the library that would be helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom