Router use for acrylic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

This may have been asked before, but can you use a roundover bit on a router table to take the corners off an acrylic blank before you start turning it?

Seems like it should work, but I would hate to ruin a blank I had drilled and epoxied the tube in just to find out.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Acrylic

Should work take little cuts and make sure the acrylic isn't cold ...

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have used a round over bit on wood, Plexi and aluminum. Don't remember if I used it on acrylic specifically. But it should work. It is possible that melting might gob up, so go careful until you get the feel of it.

I used a round over on brittle items and burls often. Helps a lot.

jttheclockman

When we use the word acrylic

This may have been asked before, but can you use a roundover bit on a router table to take the corners off an acrylic blank before you start turning it?

Seems like it should work, but I would hate to ruin a blank I had drilled and epoxied the tube in just to find out.

Thanks!

When we use the word acrylic, this could have different meanings. Not all acrylics are the same. Some are softer than others. You may get material adhering to the bit from the heat generated. To me you best option if you do not want to knock off the corners on the lathe is to use a disc sander. Besides a router and a small blank unless used in some sort of holding jig is asking for problems. Work safe.:)

Warren White

Never tried this myself. I round over corners on my disk sander.

That is what I currently do, but I was wondering if the other might work.

It seems from the answers thus far that there are legitimate concerns. I would have, of course, made a jig to get the blank through the router safely.

That is why I asked the experts! Thanks again.

farmer

Lathe

Mike that's a really interesting looking piece of hardware... could you give a little more info?? I doubt if its store bought...

It is a cue lathe Mid American cues .
Its called his professional model with the large spindle bore and a 24 slot indexer .
It has a deco cues ridgid trimmer mount with a ridgid veneer trimmer

Todd the owner is first class,
Large bore headstock

If you are really interested in one, I can post a bunch of photos of the different ways of mounting a live cutter .
The tail stock also adjusts side to side so you can taper between centers without a taper attachment .

You can buy the models that have a auto feed and threading .
I have a total of 3 of these lathes one is mounted on my CNC
Other one I want to make a feed system for the lathe that will also cut threads ...

I like the lathe's , they are not heavy easy to move around or even take to shows .
I can make cues on mine .
You can cut point do pedals cut slotted rings buy a killing attachment and a compound cross slide .
You can buy riser blocks to raise the spindle and tail stock inches higher.
and if you notice the spindle and motor slide up and down the bed of the lathe .
Making the little lathe very able to do allot of different cuts .

Last edited:

farmer

What the heck

The op asked about acrylic and not wood.

I was trying to show that if someone put acrylic in a lathe set up as like what I have, turning wood or acrylic is like a hot knife through butter.
I really don't see where I am off topic DAD ...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom