Router speed control on Jet mini-lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Munsterlander

A friend of mine suggested I could turn my non-variable speed lathe into a variable speed lathe using an inexpensive router speed control from Harbor Freight (<$15). Has anybody tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

DO NOT DO IT ....

Listen to the voices here on the Forum. It will work fora bit and then you will not be turning anything until you replace your motor.

Best to sell your current lathe and get one with a motor designed to utilize speed control. In the long run this will cost you less money, frustration, and headaches. Not to mention the loss of time while waiting for a motor to show up.

My advice and others will possibly agree ... SELL and UPGRADE. Heck even get yourself more lathe than you need because as you become more proficient in your turning skills you probably will feel the growing desire to upgrade anyway. :D

n7blw

Router speed controllers are intended for non capacitor-start motors. The Jet motors are capacitor-start motors. Look for the bulge on the motor housing to identify where the starting capacitor is located.

PTJeff

Like n7blw (jim) said, it's a capacitor motor. I've been told that the rule of thumb is
"brushes in motor = variable speed control"

louie

Let me see if I understand this:

Router motor == brush motor == variable speed == noisy

Lathe motor == capacitor == non VS == quiet :)

so what kind of motor do VS lathes have? ( I guess I am mostly interested in noise level)

thanks
Lou
NJ

Top Bottom