Rounding over for transition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

Have a pen that is slightly oversized for the matching nib component, I sometimes round the end of the blank with some micromesh but as it's got a CA finish I don't want to ruin it, what do you guys do in this situation? I'm talking a very slight oversize may 3 or 4 thousandths, but the CA finish has already been done.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

As long as you have enough thickness in the finish and the ends are sealed, it shouldn't be a problem to take the sharp edge off with some 600 w&d. But if your finish is thin and you risk going down to the wood, that's not good.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You may be just fine where you are at. Check the components with calipers, even a slight differential may be just fine. I have all to many times gotten everything aligned, then sanded/polished just below what I wanted.

Ironwood

I would say yes, but if are careful you may be able to just knock the corner off and not touch the visible surface.. But as Mark says a couple of thou aint much, you may not be able to feel that once assembled, vernier calipers are your friend here, check the components and see how much difference there is before you take any off.

Tiger

You may be just fine where you are at. Check the components with calipers, even a slight differential may be just fine. I have all to many times gotten everything aligned, then sanded/polished just below what I wanted.
Hi Mark,

Already assembled and there's a slight protusion. It's a Sedona so don't know how hard it will be to take apart.

I had a similar situation last week. I took the nib off and, using light pressure, rolled the wide end into my bench using a clean thin cardboard to protect it. this gave me just the roundover I needed to make the fit. I then used a touch of BLO, then ca on a paper towel and wiped it in to seal any finish cracking that may have occurred.

Tiger

I had a similar situation last week. I took the nib off and, using light pressure, rolled the wide end into my bench using a clean thin cardboard to protect it. this gave me just the roundover I needed to make the fit. I then used a touch of BLO, then ca on a paper towel and wiped it in to seal any finish cracking that may have occurred.
Nice solution.

Dorno

Also tiger because of the type of pen you are doing check your bushes and make sure they are not a different size at both ends like some are. It is only a really smally difference and that could be youe problem. Look up the size of bushes for that pen and you will know what I mean.

Top Bottom