Rounding Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

I have started to round my blanks on a 1x42 belt sander prior to turning. Does anyone else do this and is there a reason why I should not. I have done it on everything from wood to PSI acrylics.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

For me, the fastest way is to use the long point of my skew to round the blanks. Then I flip the skew over and turn to final dimensions.

Gary Max

Greg it ain't going to hurt the blank any----I know a turner that uses a router to round his off first. Just watch your finger tips on the sander. Hurts like heck when you nick a finger tip.

" For me, the fastest way is to use the long point of my skew to round the blanks."

Stan,
I am trying to picture what you discribe and the picture isn't comming through the fog.

Please elaborate.
Mac

Ron Mc

Greg,
I round off all my segmented blanks to make sure that there are no corners or edges present when I put on the lathe.

JimGo

I find that for some of the more brittle materials like Lucite, rounding the corners can make things a lot easier. I have a 6" face plate that came with my lathe, and I attach some adhesive-backed sand paper to it and use that for some of the more precarious blanks.

wood-of-1kind

I at times use my roundover bit on my Porter Cable router to remove the blanks' edges. Using a fixture to hold the small blanks keeps my fingers at a safe distance from the sharp router bits.

-Peter-

vick

I once read something that made a lot of sense to me, but unfortunately I can not remember the source.
"You should always try to use the right tool for a job. The right tool for making a square piece of wood round is a lathe."

It is from memory so I apoligize if I messed it up, but it struck me as very true. I do round resin on my belt sander before turning just because it takes me so much longer to turn resin. I can also see people making very valid cases for rounding segmented, laminated or cross cut blanks. I use a 3/4 roughing gouge to round my blanks at a fairly high speed for almost all my wood pens.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />It's going to end up on the lathe anyway, if it's a regular easy turning wood, I would pass the sanding step, just takes more time than needed.

A big 'yeppers' and 'me too' on what he said. That's what a lathe is for. Exception might be a big hunk of stump for a bowl. Best to saw as close to round as possible before putting on lathe. But a pen blank, high speed, sharp tools, light touch. Go for it.

mrcook4570

Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />" For me, the fastest way is to use the long point of my skew to round the blanks."

Stan,
I am trying to picture what you discribe and the picture isn't comming through the fog.

Please elaborate.
Mac

With the blank spinning on the lathe, I lay the skew on the tool rest and slide it so the long point enters the blank. It will (very quickly) eat through the blank. After it is round, I use the skew in a normal manner to finish turning the blank. This has really helped my efficiency. I first read about this on the web somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom