Rotring???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretch

I've had a custom order for a pencil with a certain mechanism called a Rotring. I have only seen them as a pencil and not just as a mechanism? Does anyone know anything about these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi pete!

I'm with Gerry on this one. Maybe it's Rotring he's thinking of. If so, about the only way to do that would be to buy one of the pencils and dismantle it and use the mechanism. I really haven't read about anybody doing this. Bob Swartzendruber (TXBob) is about the only one who might have - maybe he'll pop in. Rotring is expensive enough that I'd hate to tear one apart just to see if I can! Ask what there is about the pencil that he likes, and we might be able to offer some suggestions.

Scott.

GreggR

"Ro-Tech"?? Isn't that Scooby-speak for "Low-Tech"???

Sorry guys [:D], I just had to! Especially after my last lengthy post.

Seriously... never heard of ro-tech, no hits on search either.

Stretch

After re-contacting him, he realized that it was rotring, not ro-tech. As for another type of pencil, he might just be out a pencil because he insists on Rotring. Thanks for all the help.

jthompson1995

I haven't done a pencil with a rotring mechanism, but someone just gave me two Koh-i-noor pencils with broken plastic barrels. Koh-i-noor is another brand with good pencil mechanisms; the pencils he gave me are close to being as old as I am (29).

I took them apart and I think I'll be able to use a 7mm or 8mm tube to make a new barrel for it. I'll post photos once I try it out.

txbob

Hi Pete,
I've collected Rotring for several years, and they don't make many pencils. The only one I know of that might be taken apart like you wish would be the old style Rotring 600. Maybe the new style, but I haven't seen one in person.

The old style 600 pencils can be found on sale/close-out for less than $50, but you'll have to look around. Several of the bigger pen dealers have dropped Rotring, and many never sold their pencils, just their pens.

Daly's http://www.dalyspenshop.com/store2005/product.asp has the old style on sale for $44.95.

Montgomery's http://www.montgomerypens.com/search_results.asp?collection=Rotring%20600 has them for $49.95. They also have the new style for $29.95 and up, depending on platings.

It looks like all Rotring products on Amazon are listed as unavailable.

That's a lot for a "look and see if it will work" adventure. And I don't mean to imply that any of them will work. I don't know. But those are the only ones I'm familiar with that might work. I don't have any Rotring pencils in my collection, so I can't go look at one for you. The body is a hex shape, so you'll probably want to put it on a metal lathe and turn it round before adding a wood sleeve.

One pencil that you might be able to switch him to is the Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic Fine Line. It's better quality than the Pentel pencils, and might work. Cost is just under $10, look on Amazon. Again, you'll probably have to machine the body round to add a wood cylinder.

Sorry about that,
txbob

Randy_

Originally posted by Stretch
<br />I've had a custom order for a pencil with a certain mechanism called a Rotring. I have only seen them as a pencil and not just as a mechanism? Does anyone know anything about these?

Now that you have the correct name for the manufacturer, do a Google search and you will find lots of sources for these pens. Since Rotring makes quite a few models and lead sizes, you might need to get a few more specificas from your client before you invest in a purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom