The Rotating Clip Phenomenon - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Default The Rotating Clip Phenomenon

Well it is no secret why it happens, but after a while my clips on some kits start to rotate around the retention ring (whatever is suppose to hold the clip in place). I have tried, CA, blue loctite, and recently red loctite. I do understand that loctite is designed for threads and I am applying it to smooth surfaces - but the friction fit should be plenty. I now apply it (the red) to all my pens clips and retention rings. I have been through 2 pen presses and the lathe inserts. I even bought new bottle of red loctite, just in case the first one was bad. I even let it sit 24 hour (per the instructions) under pressure.

Any have a solution for this? Maybe stop making the kits that I have a problem with (executive, patriot and the PSI version of the patriot). I could try epoxy I guess.

Thanks for reading.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 1

You might want to look into the Loctites used to hold bushings and bearings. Permatex is another brand that makes similar products.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/sg/...compounds.html
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 76

This issue is one that frustrates my pen-making as well, and I have posted a thread to this effect fairly recently.

Besides the kits that Tony mentions above, there are others ... quite a number, actually ... that present this problem/challenge.

I think the only reliable solution for us is, as Tony suggests, to avoid the troublesome kits.

In my opinion, kit manufacturers should design their kits so that the clip does not rotate.

I prefer to use a kit in which the clip is pre-attached to the top finial, but that criterion severely limits the choice of kit.

Quite apart from the poor aesthetics of a rotating clip, the rotation can actually do damage to the barrel, and, obviously, this risk can and does damage the pen's beauty. . I am thinking of those kits that have a clip which has a more "pointed" contact with the barrel, like the Executive . . But even some of those kits for which the clip makes a "flat" contact with the barrel, there can be an aesthetics problem. . The Cigar pen is an example of this situation. . And for the Cigar, the rotating clip issue is exacerbated because the small screw-on finial cap, which retains the clip, is extremely hard to tighten sufficiently (it is short, smooth and adversely tapered) to prevent the clip rotation.

No one wants to have to add glue or loctite (with the risk of overdoing the application of these materials) to a beautifully finished pen in the final stages of assembly. . It is fiddly work to try to remove excess adhesive and at the same time take care not to damage the pen's nicely finished surfaces.

This rotating clip issue with kit design (and there are other design issues for specific kits) should be communicated directly to the manufacturers of the offending kits.

But how do we do that ?? .

Last edited by magpens; 03-05-2019 at 05:31 PM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will give it a shot Pete. Thank you. Thanks for your reply as well Mal.

Peace,

Tony

Old 03-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

What about putting very small notches on the inside edge of the clip ring.
Then use the loctite and if the loctite binds to the post and fills in the small notches....bob's your uncle!

Dale Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Experiment. Using a tooth pick apply a dab(technical term)of epoxy. I like the idea of abrasing the surfaces that get bonded. Maybe use blue tape to mask before applying.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool professional pool cue repair lathe

Last edited by WriteON; 03-05-2019 at 08:04 PM.
WriteON is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

The small notch will work, but I can't and don't want to do it. The epoxy is although worth a try. I have a personal carry pen that I can experiment with. The funny things of all the ones I sold and gave away none were returned - maybe the folks didn't both to tell me. I may call the company that make Loctite and see what they say. If I do I, I will share with all. Thanks and good night ZZZZzzzz :-)

Peace,

Tony

Old 03-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have sold many pens at a very decent price point, since I was selling at a resort on Kauai. When people pay a high price, they are not shy about getting back to the penmaker if something goes wrong. Being aware of the dreaded 'rotating clip' syndrome (having some of my early pens come back), I decided to do something to prevent that occurrence in any of my pens. So I ground a punch to set tiny dimples into the ring portion that is a part of the clip component. These dimples actually distorted the unseen part of the ring so that there was a small point of the ring protruding on the underside that dug into the pen blank, anchoring the ring portion of the clip so it would not eventually rotate. This has to be done very carefully, especially with the clips that have a thin ring, so the punch work will not be visible as a distortion of the 'show' part of the ring. When this step is employed in conjunction with whatever adhesive you use to ensure the finial or cap piece made of the pen blank material will not eventually work loose, you get a rotation-free clip. Once I started using this technique, I did not have any pens come back due to the clip rotating and ruining an otherwise fine pen. It works!
Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 104

You may want to hit the shinny surface with some sandpaper just to give it some tooth before you use blue loctite.

My Photo Album
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I thought about my post above (#8). I recall that some times I would also use some other technique to provide an anchor to avoid clip rotation. One, as mentioned above, was to scuff up the unseen part of the ring portion of the clip component so the adhesive I used could get a good grip. Also I would sometimes use dikes to clip a small tab on the inner side of the ring, then bend it down creating an anchor point. I would always use some method to anchor the ring, and that varied, depend on the design of the clip.
Logged on members can hide ads