Rosewood Identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

HankD

Can anyone help me identify this rosewood? See picture.
Hank

2006150378_rosewood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Tough to tell. There are many different species of rosewoods and sveral varieties can look similar to that picture. Honduran often looks like that. I've seen some Bolivian similar to that. Even freshly cut cocbolo will often have that appearance.

wayneis

Thats either Tulip Wood, King Woos or Cocobolo, it just depends on the coloring. Your photo is a little off color wise so its hard to tell. If its pinkish then it would be tulip, if its brownish with a tint of purple then its King, if its Cocobolo then you will know when you turn it because of the smell and the heavier oil content.

Wayne

HankD

The wood is pretty hard, but it is much lighter in color than the Cocobolo I have. The color of the wood in the photo is true to the actual wood sample. I would definitely describe it as red rather than brown. The lightest streaks in it look like the streaks in tulip wood but the large amount of darker streaks lead me to believe it might be Central American rosewood.

johnson

It looks like the same stuff I made this pen out of. The blank came from a chunk of 8/4 x 4 board. Real orange compared to other cocobolo I have worked with.
124188149.jpg

Dale
www.picturetrail.com/treecycledturning

Fangar

It is very hard to tell from your photo. Colors have a tendancy to change in photography. By the grain, if you are sure it is Rosewood, it might be Bolivian.

Fangar

wayneis

Hank how about showing us the face of a board? I still say that it is tulip wood, I have some that looks just like it. Tulip wood comes in boards that have very little red lines to some that have lots of heavy lines of differing shades. I have two pices in my shop that almost look like two different types of wood but they are both Tulip.

Wayne

wudwrkr

... Three penturners were hunting (for burls of course) in the woods and they come across some tracks, first turner says, "Thems look like deer tracks". Second turners says, "Nah, they look like bear tracks". And, just as the third turner was about to speak, they were all hit by a train!

My guess would be Cocobolo. [:D]

HankD

Unfortunately, I don't have a board left, just blanks I already cut which are what's in the photo. Thanks for the help, though.

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Hank how about showing us the face of a board? I still say that it is tulip wood, I have some that looks just like it. Tulip wood comes in boards that have very little red lines to some that have lots of heavy lines of differing shades. I have two pices in my shop that almost look like two different types of wood but they are both Tulip.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom