Rosewood Burl Cracked???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKF

I was just in the finishing stages of a Rosewood Burl Baron, and noticed there were two small cracks...one on each barrel. I did not notice them at all before. The blank was just fine while turning and no sign of any problem. Is Rosewood prone to cracking, or is this just some bad luck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Rosewood" has become a generic term.

The species "Dalbergia" (ok, Lou, correct the spelling) is actually rosewood.

It is nearly always very oily, reference "Dalbergia Retusa" (yeah, again Lou), commonly known as Cocobolo. Also Kingwood, Tulipwood and many others.

My point is, when it cracked, it was probably either NOT completely dry and the tube made it crack when it tried to shrink, or you worked up too much heat, accomplishing the same end.

See what other ideas turn up (pun intended). Hope this helps a little.[:)]

gerryr

Ed's comment made me think of something else. I had a pen crack when being assembled once and the reason it did was that the tube would barely fit in the hole because of my choice of bit and the nib turned out to be a really tight fit which caused the tube to expand which caused the crack.

DKF

gerry:

I am trying to think back and remember if the tube was a very tight fit....The pen is not assembled yet so it is not that. Maybe it got hot when I was sanding it....Like I mentioned, the blank turned just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom