Rope Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Miller

I have been amazed at the types of materials used to turn pens. Everything from denim to antlers and corn cobs. Would it be possible to turn a pen using a 3/8" knotted nylon rope? If so, what would an entre"pen"orial:D turner charge for such a pen?

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Your question is a little cryptic, would you edit your post or e-mail me?
I do make pens out of rope."kmotted' is what's throwing me.

MDWine

Interesting thought...
1. wind the cord around the blank, glue or "resin" in place -OR-
2. Open the braid of the rope, slide the tube into the middle of the rope, glue or resin together!

could be an interesting look!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by MDWine
<br />Interesting thought...
1. wind the cord around the blank, glue or "resin" in place -OR-
2. Open the braid of the rope, slide the tube into the middle of the rope, glue or resin together!

could be an interesting look!
It sure is!
(From my album)
sisal
DCP_1713.jpg

rwb cordage

barberpole.jpg

or string
b&w cotton poly tobacco twine
icebluesecret%20007.jpg

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by dscott
<br />are those cast or just alot of ca on them as they are put on the tubes
I think you were asking me.
No they are not cast and "A lot" is a relative term.
( BTW put A
HERE and put "LOT"..........................................Here.

It should look like this:
A.................................................LOT
two separate words.[:D]
( a teacher I had did that the first day of class. If you forgot automatic "F" on the paper.)

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Edward Miller
<br />I have been amazed at the types of materials used to turn pens. Everything from denim to antlers and corn cobs. Would it be possible to turn a pen using a 3/8" knotted nylon rope? If so, what would an entre"pen"orial[:D] turner charge for such a pen?

Ed

After thinking about your post during the day, from experience
nylon won't work with my method.
there might be a way to do it but not the way I do.
If I could figure it out or if I can't, it would be cheaper to figure it out yourself.
You might try here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4475

hobby_dale

eagle, those are really neat! I guess my little mind hasn't yet conceived of all the things that can be made into pen. Heck, maybe even toilet paper....no, wait...maybe not that...[:D]....anyways, those are great! Do you know of any tutorials that discuss how to make a rope (e.g. sisal) pen?

TIA, Dale

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by hobby_dale
<br />eagle, those are really neat! I guess my little mind hasn't yet conceived of all the things that can be made into pen. Heck, maybe even toilet paper....no, wait...maybe not that...[:D]....anyways, those are great! Do you know of any tutorials that discuss how to make a rope (e.g. sisal) pen?

TIA, Dale
I noticed you don't a an online photo album, check my signature(green)
I replied to your post here:
(page 5 top in blue you might want to peruse the entire thread)
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4475&whichpage=5

I have been told by a pmg member that my work is not "spectacular enough" to be considered for membership.If IfI ever make a "spectacular" pen maybe I will write the tutorial.[:D]

hobby_dale

thanks eagle, I'll check out the post and thread. [:)] No, I don't have a photo album yet, as I really didn't think I had anything special to show. I'll look into creating one. I think whom ever told you didn't make a "spectacular enough" pen was blind. Too bad for the pmg, their loss.

Scott

I almost had Eagle talked into writing an article on how he did the Denim pen. One of the things I found about writing back and forth with Eagle is that he thinks people should experiment and come up with things on their own. Note his signiture line above "It is more challenging to create than repeat. More satisfying also." I can't say I disagree with his position, which is why I stopped pushing! (BTW Eagle, I'm still willing if you are!) [8D]

As for making a pen out of the braided rope - why not? (Or is that - why knot?) Be the first to do it, and YOU can write a tutorial on the process!

Set your mind free to try new things! Among all the weird crap there should be a gem or two! [:D]

Scott.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Eagle, i hate to say it but as big of a pain as you can be, you really do good work.
at the risk of being misinterpreted or self deprecating
Not good enough to suit me.
(or the guy from the PMG who said my work is not spectacular)[^]

timdaleiden

Originally posted by cteaglesc
[brI have been told by a pmg member that my work is not "spectacular enough" to be considered for membership.If IfI ever make a "spectacular" pen maybe I will write the tutorial.[:D]

Gee Eagle, I certainly hope that is not a reference to me. When we had a few e-mail exchanges, quite a while back, you seemed to be interested in applying for membership to the Guild. I was glad to share what little information I had at that time. You then turned around and said that you didn't want to join. In fact, you described Guild members work as boring, unimaginative, etc. (I wonder if Russ knows that this is how you have described his work, along with all other Guild members)

I think you even called us "tool snobs". I think you have used that term recently as well. If that is your belief, I can tell you that you are categorically mis-informed. The work is considered for membership, not the tools used to create it.

My sincerest apologies to all who stumbled across this post, and found it unsettling.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Tim evidently you don't"think" too good(your own words.)
I did a search on tool snob
here are the results on this forum( the Only pen turning one I go to)
You can't link to it but in your spare time you might want to find the post where I called any member of the PMG a tool snob.( I did find where you mentioned it,saying PMG members weren't tool snobs(Thou doth protest too much?)
I'll be glad to apologize if I had.
I did use the term recently but referred to one in particular(Now where's the gump button so no one who doesn't want to will be forced to read anything I write in the future?)
Rope Pen 1 2
Edward Miller 19 527 May 29 2005 12:10:58 AM
by: timdaleiden
Crack in a Cocobolo airrat 5 128 May 28 2005 12:54:43 AM
by: timdaleiden
Cheap accelerant 1 2
cteaglesc 21 389 May 23 2005 06:22:50 AM
by: cteaglesc
Community Forums / Casual Conversation
Going to buy a new saw, looking for input. Doghouse 13 169 May 16 2005 11:06:22 AM
by: jdavis
Community Forums / Build the Tips, Tricks, & FAQ Files
Does anyone have one of these old folks 10 318 Mar 22 2005 09:50:29 AM
by: jdavis
Inexpensive Turning Tools 1 2
jkirkb94 18 723 Jan 26 2005 06:45:29 AM
by: n/a

timdaleiden

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Tim evidently you don't"think" too good(your own words.)
I did a search on tool snob
here are the results on this forum( the Only pen turning one I go to)
You can't link to it but in your spare time you might want to find the post where I called any member of the PMG a tool snob.( I did find where you mentioned it,saying PMG members weren't tool snobs(Thou doth protest too much?)
I'll be glad to apologize if I had.
I did use the term recently but referred to one in particular(Now where's the gump button so no one who doesn't want to will be forced to read anything I write in the future?)

I can't make heads or tails out of this post. Are you now inferring that "I" am a tool snob? I just can't tell anymore. Come to think of it, I am not even sure what a tool snob is. Maybe it is a good thing, and if that is the case...Thank you. [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Maybe you shouldn't use words you don't understand then.
Your reply is in pink

USA
523 Posts

My Photos
Posted - May 28 2005 : 12:40:00 AM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by woodscavenger

one of them was going to be my guild submission but now I am afraid to enter it with the hairline crack.

I agree with Lou that a crack would work against your submission. I am glad that you are considering submitting your work to the Guild. You do have the talent to make it there, IMHO.

I have noticed that there have been some anti-guild feelings expressed on this forum. I am saddened that some people feel that way.

I find these sentiments bewildering. One of the two folks that got this site up-and-running is a member of the Guild. Most of the original members here are also members of the PMG. A number of tutorial articles that are here, or are frequently referenced, were written by Guild members.

I think that nobody should feel compelled to join the Guild either. There is nothing wrong with that.

One more thing I want to add is that Guild members are not tool snobs, we do not have secret meetings (unless the rest of them are keeping something from me), we do not all agree on everything, and we do not sleep with mini-lathes under our beds.
My point is you accused me of making a comment regarding tool snobs associating the term with the PMG.
I did a search and the only refrence I found concerning the two was made by you.
I did use the term in a thread concering cheap accelerant where you couldn't understand that the main ingredient of a brand of accelerant was acetone even though the product label was posted.

I defy you to find the post where I called PMG members "tools snobs"
If you did prove it. you seem to like to contradict other Lou's staements now I am questioning yours.
Find the post where I said it, the search function works fine.
If you can't than I expect any reference you made concering me, tool snobs and the PMG retracted, edited or deleted, otherwise forum members may decide to do their own search and you will be there with egg on your face.
Do you need help finding or learning how to use the search function of the site?
I'll be happy to write you a tutorial.

timdaleiden

From an e-mail You wrote.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;In a message dated 1/10/2005 7:21:43 AM Central Standard Time, weaglep@mindspring.com writes:

As far as entry in the PMG I asked that rather tongue in cheek.
After viewing the albums,I must say most of the work is rather run of the mill and boring.
If there was "innovative" work done to get in the Guild most members have lowered the bar and decided to "rest on their laurels"
I have only been turning anything since this past June
I have a shop that a "tool snob" would sneer at.
I think I do pretty dam good work and I CONSTANTLY strive to make a better pen.
While looking at the PMG albums I saw a lot of wasp waists which to me show a lack of imagination.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Thumbs

Would you guys just agree to ignore each other?

Right or wrong, you are becoming somewhat tedious in both your tirades and crusades![:(!] Instead of promoting discussion about the salient topic, one or the other of you turn the topic into an argument instead!

No! I don't care who's right or wrong! You won't justify your position by ranting at or flaming each other! [:(!] It always takes two to Tango; will one of you try to be grown up long enough to learn to keep the peace? The noise you guys make is distracting to say the least to the rest of us!

You should know that the rest of us have enough brains to know when someone is being fairly represented or unfairly. You will not sway us by using sly witty remarks or stupid very loud outrageous ones!

I think I'm not the only one here who can determine the worth of someone's advice by myself and not the only one who can perceive the actions of vendetta! Justified, or not, personal feelings of satisfaction about "scoring" on someone or personal aggrandizement at the expense of someone else is, or should be, behavior that is better conducted out side the boundaries of this forum!

I'm also extremely sorry to say that this boorish behavior is not, unfortunately, just limited to the above two combatants on this thread. [V] It's occurring over all the forums.

If it helps, start a new thread! Call it Bob's Big Mouth Emporium! That way the people who really want to shout and bad mouth me or anyone else can spend all their forum time on that thread instead of boring everyone everywhere! I'll be happy to attend![}:)][^][}:)]

If I've offended anybody, or everybody, too bad. I'm sick of the bad mouthing and bickering! I came here to share in the "FUN?", not fight. H_ll, anybody can do that!...........[B)]

Thumbs

No problem guys. I just didn't want to see anybody getting too excited.[:p]

Everybody knows how calm and courteous I am. After all, I've never gotten excited or carried anyway on any of these forums.[}:)] NEVER![;)]

Ah, yes! The noblest Roman of them all! [:D] Yeowwch!!

GregD

You darn guys just had to go and talk about using rope to make pens.[:D] I got one made with twine but Eagle was right. It takes a______lot of CA. I'm going to try one with fibreglass resin tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom