Rookie Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

If you are starting with a square blank, the roughing gouge is normally used to turn the blank from square to round. Once round, you can continue to use the gouge, but most would switch to either a Skew chisel, or spindle gouge. I think if you google them you will get an idea of what they look like. You can also use the carbide cutter tools to turn from square through finish and never have to switch tools. (Easy Wood Tools, etc.) Another tool that I've found works for me is called a spindlemaster gouge.

Last edited:

azamiryou

It's all about what works best for you. Many people can get a really nice finish cut with a skew. Many people have nothing but trouble with a skew. If you're careful to ride the bevel, you can get a nice finishing cut from a gouge. Some people like scrapers.

Since you're a self-described "rookie", I suggest you try different tools. You can do this once your blank is round, but while it's still oversize. You can get a feel for how much control each tool gives you. How fast does it cut? How evenly? How good a finish? The right answer may vary by the material. Once you get close to your target size, switch to the tool that you feel most comfortable with, and don't worry about whether one of the others might be "better".

The "best tool" will vary as your skills grow. If you really want to boost your skills, be sure to practice whatever you feel weakest on. You can practice on scrap, or on actual projects while they are still well oversize (so you can use your "comfortable" tool to clean up any mistakes).

its_virgil

Where in Texas are you? There are several excellent wood turning clubs in our great state. If one is close you should consider joining. Most club members will be glad to help out with some instruction on how to use different tools.
Personally, I and others use a skew chisel from start to finish for pens...on all materials. But, you have several tool choices.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
At what point when turning wood blanks do I switch from the gougher to a different too,, is it a finishing tool.. whats it look like?

Top Bottom