Rookie Mistrake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

OK - There is a first time for everything. Of all the pens I've made I never recall this happening. I made an Atrax Ball Point for the first time. After gluing in the lower tube and squaring it up it was about 3/64 (less than 1/16) inch short. I decided to continue and make the pen. Well the writing tip extends past the end of the nib less that 1/32 of an inch with the transmission completely re-tracked. Apparently not much "wiggle room" with the Atrax BP.

Any one know of any adjustments that can be made or is this an office desk pen?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSCN0781.jpg
    DSCN0781.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 160
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NittanyLion

I agree with Brandon.....I do this frequently to get it just right.....I'll also add a dab of CA on the refill sometimes.. If the blank blows up or I end up cutting it way to short like the pic above, most times I'll end up adding segmenting bands and insert part of a cut tube. I wouldn't sell these, but carry them or give them to my kids.

brownsfn2

It happens. Sometimes I get too aggressive with squaring the tube or when I use my carbide trimmer it cuts the brass so quickly it shortens the tube. I usually disassemble and retry with new tubes and blank. Someone has to buy up all those extra tubes out there right? :)

PaulDoug

I have never made one of these, so I may be off base here, but if the transmission is the type you press in, can you tap the transmission back a little using a center punch? I've done that before on one or two.

Randy Simmons

has anyone found a way to drill back into the twist mechanism a bit? sanding off the refill will work, until your customer tries to use a fresh refill :/

RichF

Make a washer/spacer for the transmission to screw up against that provides the necessary clearance (sounds like 3/64). There should still be plenty of threads to hold the transmission tight.

Dale Lynch

Done that before.Just unscrew the transmission a bit while in extension position,add some blue loctite and screw it down to the point of acceptable nib protrusion.

Dan Hintz

If you go with the refill trimming, make sure you keep it as a personal pen... I'd hate for someone to install a new refill only to find it doesn't fit as well as the old.

Personally, I'd consider adding on a trim ring to the nib end, maybe 1/16" thick. Should still be plenty of nib in the tube to hold it, but that should keep the ballpoint within the nib.

jimm1

Been there. Done that.
Do you have a center punch kit. If so, get the small punch that will fit through the transmission and knock out the pen tip. Get a piece of scrap HARD wood and drill a hole that will just accommodate the transmission. Slip the unit into the hole. Use another center punch and tap to knock back the transmission to a better location.

Top Bottom