Rookie mistake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donnalleyd

I put together my first Jr. Gent 2 and the dummy in me forgot to take into account that the barrel has two different diameters at the top an the bottom. I have a set of punches but I have never used them. How hard is this pen to disassemble. I absolutely do not want to damage the barrel. It is a watch part cast by Indiana_parrothead. I would love some tips or suggestions.

Thanks,
Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I agree with Joel. The soft grip pliers are the way to go. They make the process so much easier and they do not mar the finish. Fair warning: DO NOT tighten the pressure screw too tight - DAMHIKT.

BSea

You shouldn't have much trouble with the lower barrel. But you might have to use locktite when you press the pieces together again.

lwalper

So far no problem getting the solid end pens apart. My problems come with the "clickers" -- too much plastic in top end to bang on without tearing something up.

Ditto on the soft-jaw pliers.

Sandsini

I've recently had to take apart a few pens with the punch sets and have got to be pretty good at it.

I use a small piece of non-skid mesh (from under a throw rug) between my hand and the body of the pen and use the closest fitting punch I can and tap the parts out. Be careful with the point on the end of the punch, and place a small folded piece of paper towel into anything that might get damaged by the point, like the finial. You don't need to hit it hard, just tap, tap, tap until the part pops off.

I would try this before I got the pliers, even soft jaw pliers, out.

Good luck,

Krash

I also tried using my Jacob's chuck tightened to just hold lightly the transmission or part sticking out of the tube then tap with a punch. I don't know if this applies to the gent or not.

thewishman

No need for special pliers. I wrap a rubber band, or rubber glove (or any other grippy material) around the barrel, hold the part over an open box, and tap the transfer punch with a hammer.

I learned the hard way (having a Jr. Statesman finial bounce across the garage) to aim the assembly into a box or bag the would not damage the plating.

randyrls

Ben; I would advise against the pliers. Like others have said; many gentle taps until the fitting pops free. Arrange a "soft landing zone" like a towel for the fitting. I have not done this to any Gent's. If the upper barrel, punch out the finial first, then the centerband. If the lower barrel, first the nib end, then the coupler. If the finial comes apart, just press it back together.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
+1 on hand held, soft landing zone & many gentle taps. Just take your time & don't get in a big hurry. For a good number of taps you may think that nothing is happening, just be patient.

kingkeyman

No need for special pliers. I wrap a rubber band, or rubber glove (or any other grippy material) around the barrel, hold the part over an open box, and tap the transfer punch with a hammer.

I learned the hard way (having a Jr. Statesman finial bounce across the garage) to aim the assembly into a box or bag the would not damage the plating.

I'm not smart enough for a box, I must enjoy chasing flying parts.

mick

Or use those grippy pads used for opening jars...I've have no problem with those

donnalleyd

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. It gave me the confidence to get it fixed. I just used my hands because I am cheap and didn't want to wait for the order. Came apart with just a little work. Look for pictures coming soon to the "Show off you pen section". It is part of a set of two when I get the second completed then I will post pictures.

Ben

Sawdust1825

I love the gripper pliers and while I can see where you could damage a blank with overtightening it shouldn't be a problem. Can you use other things to hold it? Sure you can but these work so well you will love them. Fortunately I don't need them often but it isn't always a assembly mistake either. I have disassembled when I was satisfied with my fit to the hardware and ended up taking a few more thousandths off. My .02 worth. Good luck

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you use a kid's balloon to hold (your hand gripping the pen with the rubber of the balloon serving to keep you from slipping) the pen, the balloon section also serves to catch the pieces.

Top Bottom