Rollerball that writes like a ballpoint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

Ok, so after 2000 pens sold I came across a customer yesterday that asked a question I did not know and have not been able to find an answer for. He would like to have a rollerball refill for the Jr retro that i sold him that would write like a ballpoint . I showed him the linen tip and fine liner refills that I had but his concern is bleed though of the ink on paper.

Any ideas ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You might be able to use a Parker style refill & add a short piece of wood or plastic to make up for the difference in length.

Charlie_W

Richard Greenwald makes a small "extension " which will allow a ballpoint refill to work in a rollerball body. You also need a bottom spring. He can supply both as well as the refill. :cool:

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
He is asking to go backward, Greg.

The "refill industry" attempts to make the ballpoint come closer to the writing ease of the rolllerball. So, try to isolate his real "want". If he is concerned the ink will go through the paper, see what paper he is using. A finer rollerball will lay down less ink. But I don't think any current refill will actually put enough ink on the paper to run through it, unless he is using onion skin, whiich MAY be one layer in a carbonless form.

Once you know what he is trying to say, it will be easier to accommodate.

fWIW
Ed

fitty

I have been successful in utilizing a Waterman BP in a Jr Gent. The Waterman is 4.375 and the Schmidt is 4.39...roughly .04cm difference. You need to create a "O" ring on the Waterman to prevent it from extending to far.

Here is the comparison guide for reference.

Refill_size_comparison_guide.pdf

greggas

He is asking to go backward, Greg.

The "refill industry" attempts to make the ballpoint come closer to the writing ease of the rolllerball. So, try to isolate his real "want". If he is concerned the ink will go through the paper, see what paper he is using. A finer rollerball will lay down less ink. But I don't think any current refill will actually put enough ink on the paper to run through it, unless he is using onion skin, whiich MAY be one layer in a carbonless form.

Once you know what he is trying to say, it will be easier to accommodate.

fWIW
Ed

Hi Ed;

His issue was bleed-through. He writes a lot in personal journals and had one with him at my booth. He tends to pause as he writes with the tip toughing the paper...( paper was standard, certainly not onion skin) which bled through with most of the rollerball refills I had him try ...the fine liner and fine point RB bled very little after a long period of time.

I know his request was a bit out of the ordinary but he spent over $750 with me yesterday and I get the feeling he will be back so i want to try to find a solution for him if I can...thanks

Top Bottom